GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Proud Dad/Son's First Truck

    Well, just bought my boy his first truck. It's a 1994 Dodge Dakota Sport, 3.9L with 5sp manual. I know, I know, it's not a Chevy which is what I would have preferred but we got a heck of a deal and it's a darn good starter truck. He's having a rough time mastering the stick but progressing pretty well. I figured if anyone would appreciate my excitement, it's you guys and gals. Here's a couple pics... GregClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	58193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	58194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	58195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	58196

  2. #2
    Jr. Engineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    weedsport, NY
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Great starter truck!! I had a Dakota, awesome little truck! Take note of this!!!!! There is a red and white wire that goes into the fuse box on the drivers side fender! It has a fusable link in it, about a foot before it gets too the box, when that link blows, you will lose fuel pump AND spark! When mine went out, I put a $1.50, blade style, fusable link back in. When the neighbors went out, he just cut it out and spliced the wires back together!
    I bought Dakota for $300. bucks because they didn't know about the fuse, but I also had to replace the distributor they broke cuase they had a mental melt down when they couldn't fix the truck!

  3. #3

    Default

    Looks like the perfect starter truck.
    Looks clean and unmolested, makes it much easier to mod as he gets to know it.

  4. #4

    Default

    ^^KISS fan!!

    Great first truck indeed! I was looking at Dakotas before i settled for an S10. Any plans for it yet?
    95 S10 LS 5 speed ext cab 2wd "work truck"
    3/3 static _ Spectre Air Filter _ Punched out cat _ Glasspack>

    99 S10 Xtreme 3rd door, 5 speed 4.3 VIN W
    Hurst Short Throw Shifter _
    American Racing wheels (275/60/15; 215/70/15) _ Sub/Amp/Stereo _ TB Mod>

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    Great starter truck!! I had a Dakota, awesome little truck! Take note of this!!!!! There is a red and white wire that goes into the fuse box on the drivers side fender! It has a fusable link in it, about a foot before it gets too the box, when that link blows, you will lose fuel pump AND spark! When mine went out, I put a $1.50, blade style, fusable link back in. When the neighbors went out, he just cut it out and spliced the wires back together!
    I bought Dakota for $300. bucks because they didn't know about the fuse, but I also had to replace the distributor they broke cuase they had a mental melt down when they couldn't fix the truck!
    Thanks for the info! I haven't owned a Dodge in well over 2 decades so I do not know the little tricks and tips that can save a ton money like this one...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 95_5spd View Post
    ^^KISS fan!!

    Great first truck indeed! I was looking at Dakotas before i settled for an S10. Any plans for it yet?
    Nothing firm yet but much like any 17 year old boy (or any dude for that matter) he has big plans... He's talking new tires, new stereo, etc... I told him our goal right now is to keep it running and keep it safe.

  6. #6

    Default

    Nothing firm yet but much like any 17 year old boy (or any dude for that matter) he has big plans... He's talking new tires, new stereo, etc... I told him our goal right now is to keep it running and keep it safe.


    Ahhh dad wheres the fun in that?

  7. #7

    Default

    That's a good looking truck actually for a 1994. At least your kid is into trucks and not mopeds or something. Lok

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Nothing firm yet but much like any 17 year old boy (or any dude for that matter) he has big plans... He's talking new tires, new stereo, etc... I told him our goal right now is to keep it running and keep it safe.


    Ahhh dad wheres the fun in that?
    There's fun to be had, just not to the extent or level that he would prefer at this point

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That's a good looking truck actually for a 1994. At least your kid is into trucks and not mopeds or something. Lok
    Thank goodness too. He likes trucks, country music and girls. To top it all off, he's a good kid so, I'm a happy camper.

  9. Likes zuki82 liked this post
  10. #9

    Default

    i know im an echo in the convo but good starter truck. have had a few friends that have had them and almost had one myself. they are a good little truck. and stick shift is way more fun to drive. the best thing about a starter truck, you can do what you want to it no worries about losing warranty. your imagination is the limit as your not restricted by payments lol. good to hear there is another truck guy. hopefully when the first one has had its time he will move on to chevy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •