GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: fan troubles

Default fan troubles

I have a 2003 suburban and when I turn on my heat or a/c with the auto button or manually it takes about 5-10 min before it starts blowing out. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the root of it? Thanks in advance

i have not heard of that issue. Does your fan blow at all speeds when it finally does work? There are 3 possible causes of the issue, the control unit, the resistor pack for the fan, or the fan motor itself. you can test the control unit by turning it on and then checking at the resistor for a signal coming in. if the signal is going to the resistor then check for voltage coming out of the resistor. if you have no voltage going to the fan from the resistor, and then after 10 minutes all of a sudden you do, then I would think that the resistor is bad.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

With the auto controls it is supposed to wait until the coolant is hot before blowing air when trying to heat.

But waiting for A/C? Never heard of that.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

he said that it does the same thing on manual though. another thing he might try is hitting the motor with his hand when he first turns it on. I have seen them go bad and only start to work after hitting a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    he said that it does the same thing on manual though. another thing he might try is hitting the motor with his hand when he first turns it on. I have seen them go bad and only start to work after hitting a bump.
    I agree, a motor not spinning up because of a poor connection, or a bad bearing.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)