GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Am i understanding this right?

im thinking about putting 2 of these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+MA103XE.html
    in my truck. being 4 ohm dvc if wired in parallel i could run it with this amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TXi+1008D.html under a 2 ohm load is that correct?

well, you have to make sure that your subs will be stable with that wiring as well as your amp. if they werent designed to be wired that way, you will more than likely blow one of your voice coils of not both. you also have to make sure that your amp will be stable with your subs wired that way otherwise you will over work your amp which will make it run hotter than its designed dramatically reducing sound quality, performance, and life span. you could also run the risk of over heating to the point of catching fire which will dramatically reduce the life of your vehicle... just go to a local audio shop and ask them for the best advise, you should have no trouble getting a good answer
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Sr. Apprentice

k, ill check into it. thanks bro

I don't see why you should have a problem. If you run them both to one +/- then you'll be down to 1ohm and that'll make it hit a little harder but it'll wear out your stuff a little faster.
    2004 Chevy Silverado LS 5.3L Ext. cab Std. bed 2WD all stock with 17" rims?
    1994 Chevy Camaro Z28 LT1 w/CAI Edlebrock midlength headers, 3" single back to an 80 series Flowmaster, MSD opti, MILD cam, smooth elbow backed by a 6sp manual!

*I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to be. The things I say are mainly oppinions and or experiance. Also, I'm not worried about my spelling.*

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bidisilverado View Post
    I don't see why you should have a problem. If you run them both to one +/- then you'll be down to 1ohm and that'll make it hit a little harder but it'll wear out your stuff a little faster.
    how much faster?

Quote Originally Posted by common dude View Post
    how much faster?
    it depends on how much you are going to use it... if you use it all the time, it could be less than a year, but then you have you warranty so no big deal. i haven't heard of that brand, but if it is good equipment then it could last 2 years or longer. i would be surprised if they failed within 2 years as long as you take some kind of care and not take it to the max. if you use them only now and again, they could last you years.

Sr. Apprentice

i would be playing it all the time that i am driving but i typically keep it turned down pretty low. 1 of my friends has 2 hifonics amps in his truck and to my knowledge he is happy with them.

if you keep it turned down, you should have no trouble. im in the same situation except i already have mione. i have 2 12" kicker comp vr on a 1200 watt amp. they rattle your head off, but i dont use them blaring all the time. i like the sound add though

Wire each sub's voice coils in series, then parallel the 2 subs together. That will produce a 2 ohm load. Technically, the amp will still produce more power than the sub is rated for at rms. However, if you wire the coils in parallel and the subs in series, you will produce a 4 ohm load, which the subs can easily handle the power of the amp, but they won't be driven to RMS, which is the peak butter zone you want to be in. To run 2 of those subs with that amp really is not smart, they're just not matched...

EDIT: You're in Slidell??? Well, you must be somewhere nearby as I'm in Slidell over by the mall
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Wire each sub's voice coils in series, then parallel the 2 subs together. That will produce a 2 ohm load. Technically, the amp will still produce more power than the sub is rated for at rms. However, if you wire the coils in parallel and the subs in series, you will produce a 4 ohm load, which the subs can easily handle the power of the amp, but they won't be driven to RMS, which is the peak butter zone you want to be in. To run 2 of those subs with that amp really is not smart, they're just not matched...

EDIT: You're in Slidell??? Well, you must be somewhere nearby as I'm in Slidell over by the mall
    what would you reccommend changing? i want the best bang for my buck. and it needs to hit hard. i would kind of like to run 12's but i probably cant fit them under my seat. ill talk to the guys at a stereo shop and see what they can do about a box even if it means raising my seat a bit so i can run what i want to.

yea im right in your neighborhood. i live in the greenbrier apartments on airport road.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by