GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Programmer and bolt on options 5.3L

Hello GM truck club!

New user, have only used the forum once before. First off my truck is an 07 1500 LTZ 5.3L only upgrades are a K&N CAI. I'm looking primary for some good bolt on that won't completely break the bank and a programmer. My truck has the infamous oil consumption and I have heard people have had luck with a programmer and turning off the AFM. Truck is past warranty and don't want to drop $1600 for the GM updates that "might" fix my problem. I plan to do a 6.0 swap in a couple of years (Maybe). I do not tow and drive a lot of highway miles, 100ish a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Garrett - Washington
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 4x4

Contact Blackbear Performance and get you a custom tune.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Contact Blackbear Performance and get you a custom tune.
    Will their base tune be able to turn off the AFM?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcgsxr View Post
    Pretty sure it can! There are a lot of happy customers of theirs on the forum.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by gmcgsxr View Post
    Yes it will. Make sure to inform them that you want it turned off. Custom tune is the ONLY way to go on these trucks. That way it's not a hit or miss that the handhelds offer but a true tune to the parameters your truck requires.
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

Can the BB tune be removed and the ECM set back to stock tune if the vehicle needs to go into the dealership and the risk of the dealer flashing it, and then the custom tune plugged back into the ECM when it gets out of the shop, like can be done with the Diablo custom tunes?
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

yes it can be turned back to stock just make sure you order the auto cal tune form them it more expensive but you get the handheld it might be 3-5 different tunes he can do and if you add anymore parts to your truck you can call and he will email you another tune to downloaded onto the handheld .order a exhaust or just get a muffler and pipe added, buy some long tube headers and then call Justin at black bear and have him do a tune with the afm turned off and tell him you got long tubes cai and exhaust and he will make a tune that works best with all the add on. You could also add a corvette servo to the truck which will help with your shifting.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

One year and a winter, I'm still happy with the Diablo intune and the pre installed 93 octane tune. Cleaned up the gear hunting and makes the duel pipes sing without AFM. Oh......not burning oil anymore... Gee, wonder why that is? ;)
    Will also go so far as to say I don't hear my lifters tapping in the morning anymore either. I've always used a full synthetic with Dexos and a AC/Delco filter. Since AFM got tuned off the tapping in the morning went away after a few hundred miles. My dealer who dose treat me well said, because the tapping was very slight and only in the initial warm up. It was what GM called "Acceptable valve train noise"... lifter tap on 13,000 miles is not acceptable. I have several guys that I hang with and family from GM powertrain here in Buffalo. They swear by adding Zmax to Dexos oil in LS motors with AFM as a way to keep them quiet and happy.
    I am a American solder, I am a member of the finest fight force on earth, I am the bump in the night. I will defend the United states of American Against all enemies both foreign and domestic. Repent now all those who would do my nation and it's people harm; For when we come it will be too late.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE, Z71 with 5.3 l and max tow/haul package

Haven't had it on long, but I did the Diablo InTune thing and installed the canned 93 octane tune, since I am primarily using E85. So far pretty good, but will probably get Andy at Dynotune USA to work up an E85 specific tune in the future. I like being able to adjust transmission stuff when I want to find the right shift points for my needs an how firm I want the shifts. Also disabling the AFM and a laundry list of other user adjustments one can make.

10. Likes Kapelusprime liked this post