GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default key and remote programming?

i just bought an 03 silverado SS! but both keys and fobs are recognized as driver 2. my question is, is there a way to reprogram a key as driver 1?

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
    2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder - do not turn ignition switch.
    3. Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch (This is the switch on the door, NOT the remote).
    4. While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    5. Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock one time to confirm the program mode is actuvates.
    6. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button on one keyless remote for approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters. Reprogram any existing remotes at this time as they have been erased.
    8. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it is easy. It worked on my '02 intrigue as well. The exception was that instead of the doors locking and unlocking with each remote, it "double-dinged" each time I had successfully programmed one.

Tom