GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Default my little girls first ride

So she got her self a truck oh my she's growing up :(
    But I did teach her well she got a 92 Chevy with the 5.7 .
    It ran great on test drive accross town about 20 mins or so.
    We drove it home and guess what it has monsters. First one is the cooling.
    It runs around 195 or so seems high to me so I checked the hoses to see if they were warm both upper and lower
    Were hot but rock solid. After it cooled down I went to check them again and could squeezing them no problem
    But heard antifreez going back into over flow tank. Strange ?

The next problem is oil pressure goes from 60 when first started to almost nothing
    When warmed up. It's so low check guages light comes on. It does have oil in it I did check that
    After my little girl heard the truck have a little knock the tears started flowing so rest
    Of the night was spent trying to get her to see we can fix it so I didn't get much time to check on other stuff
    Any ideas on what to start on first ?
    1997 gmc k1500
    v force muffler
    duel tips
    3 inch pipe
    KnN air filter
    Good year authority tires
    160000 miles and counting
    2 intake gaskets
    1 trany
    1 water pump
    1 alt
    I love my truck !!!!!

Welcome to GMTC! The first thing I would do is change the oil and filter. You have no idea what weight oil the last owner was running in it. I would also install an AC delco filter. It is a long shot but, I have heard of guys have oil pressure issues solved by changing to an AC delco filter. The low pressure can be caused by worn bearings, a failing oil pump, or a clogged sumpt pickup screen. Or it could simply be a bad sending unit. But, it it is knocking when the oil pressure drops I doubt that is the case.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

3. Thanks cobra2end thanked for this post

195 is the factory set running temp for the truck so any reading with in 10 degrees of that should be fine. When warmed up the oil pressure does tend to drop but not below 20 psi while idling and when running higher rpms it should raise. If the oil is older or the wrong weight it can cause lower psi reading. Also as Pikey suggested the ACDelco filters seem to help the trucks alot.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

5. Thanks cobra2end thanked for this post
    Jr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for info guys. Wearer turned to poo so now waiting for little better weather.
    Fig the daughter should have learning to work on her own truck and we could learn new stuff
    Together fun time for us both I'm just so glad she didn't bring home a
    Dodge or Ford like her mom did lol. I'll post what I find out thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg952.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	58329 not sure if this will work but if it does here is a pic of her truck

Thats sweet!!! Gotta love the high speed hood! Yeah the 195 temp is normal.. My 2011 runs 210 so 195 is fine.. Also your hoses will be hard when up to temp and it is normal for the anti-freeze to seep back into the holding tank as it cools down. should be no worries there.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Jr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

I like the hood too but can't talk her out of it darn. She has a wish list from lmc and ready for weather to warm up.I'm hoping with oil pressure dropped is just needing oil and filter change .it does have 175k on it but the guy thinks it has a newer rebuilt motor in it I've heard that before .

Jr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Well so far we know it needs new lower rad. Hose. We are going to change oil pump and oil so we can see what's in bottom of the pan and see what happens sure hope it don't need a new motor

If you find yourself in need of a donor vehicle..... I have a '92 K1500 for sale in the classifieds section.
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!