GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default transmission ere transfer case bad

All started when rear drive shaft droped was at red light went to take off and lost front u joint on rear shaft part store was about two blocks so pullrd drive Shaft put in 4 high all was good till shifting to second gear when made a loud gear striping sound was not giving it a lot of gas was taking it easy long story short after replacing shaft 2 wheel drive truck wood not go without grinding had to lock in 4 low and idel home could it be rear spline transmission

The tcase is more likely to be the issue in my opinion because it was never really built to pull the entire weight of the truck with the front axle.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Very hard to follow your post with no punctuation. what year is the truck? auto or standard trans? after replacing the rear shaft it won't move in 2wd without grinding? does it move in 4wd without grinding? does it feel like the brakes are dragging?
    Engine off, jack up the rear so both tires are off the ground. E brake off, trans in neutral, 2wd. can you spin the rear tires by hand? any noise?

[QUzTE=edsmagichands;612088]Very hard to follo.your post with no punctuation. what year is the truck? auto or standard trans? after replacing the rear shaft it won't move in 2wd without grinding? does it move in 4wd without grinding? does it feel like the brakes are dragging?
    Engine off, jack up the rear so both tires are off the ground. E brake off, trans in neutral, 2wd. can you spin the rear tires by hand? any noise?[/QUOTE]

99 z71 it will move in 2 wheel 4 low and high .I drove it home only thing is when stopped on bottom of hill under load it just grinds

I am not sure about that T-case model. But, my 1995 had a simulaiar issue. It would grind in 2wd under load, not in 4wd. Turns out that a c-clip popped off a shaft inside the t-case. The dealer fixed it under warranty. if it happened again I was going to put one of these on it. This site kinda shows the issue. http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...ase_saver.html

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    The tcase is more likely to be the issue in my opinion because it was never really built to pull the entire weight of the truck with the front axle.
    Should be able to withstand it under moderate load
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer