GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How has everyone handled this winter financially???

I always try to get ahead by saving out of each paycheck I get. But this winter has just killed any savings I wanted to stash away.. My electric bill in Feb 2013 was $200 for 1800kwh I used.(this is my average bill in winter for the last 10 years.) This Feb I used 1500kwh (300kwh less!!)and my bill was $315. JUST CRAZY!!!! Also I filled my propane tank up in November at $1.99 a gallon. I had to get refilled and when they told me it was $3.29 a gallon I only got 100 gallons. Well I burned that up in 3 1/2 weeks. I refuse to buy any more propane at this inflated gouged price and nobody around me has wood for sale unless I pay $85 a cord for it. (Its usually between $55-$65 here). I burned up my wood by the end of January (I was a few cord short of my normal amount) So now im heating with a kersosene heater and a turbo heater. Uggghhh I just want the coldness to end!!!!!

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Cold weather should be over or a little warmer for the north another month or so, My home is Alabama but drive a truck alot up north and lost money with breakdowns when in sub zero weather .Also lost money in traffic jams from closed roads due to ice snow and accidents. Saving vacation days and plan to drive down to the gulf coast soon. Like your truck!

2012 Silverado

Legend
    Blog Entries

I'm broke like always, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

4. Likes the phantom liked this post

Money wise, I am fine....but there is still 3 friggin' feet of snow in my yard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	970050_10152702780153084_936533962_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	58366

1997 GMC

6. Likes the phantom liked this post
    Legend

when I purchased my new house 35 years ago I spent the extra cash on insulating the home. doubled the attic insulation to 24 inches fiberglass, installed storm windows,insulated the concrete foundation .the 2nd winter the gas usage dropped to 50 % less therms.

now over the last 5 years I replaced all the window sashes to insulating 5/8 glass. the larger picture window was trashed and replaced with a bay window fully insulated. all the window trim was removed and foam insulation was used to seal all the door / window frames. also roof venting was increased sofit and ridge vents. gable end vents as well.

being the coldest winter in a very long time I was surprised to see that the gas bill was 125 dollars per month during the dec-feb period. thermostat set at 68 deg f. .

8. Likes the phantom liked this post

This was my first winter in my current apartment and man did it suck. My apartment is on the perimeter of the property and it faces due north. My heater never shut off. Just about doubled my electricity bill for a couple of months.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

We bought a new furnace last summer, it replaced our 30 year old furnace. We did not buy a high efficiency but our bill actually went down this year. Which is surprising considering we have to keep the house at 72 degrees (recommended by our pediatrician for a child under 10 months old as they can not regulate body temp well) We also had an energy consultant come to our home the first week in January. He spent 3 hours checking the house out. He installed a blower door (a big fan that negatively pressurizes your home) Then he walked around with a thermal gun and showed us where cold air was sucking into the house. He did this for free. But then told us $6,000 to fix all of the issues. We decided to do it ourselves. I have completed 90% of the list for under $600.
    -We added an additional 14" of cellulose insulation to the attic to get to an R64.
    -We sealed all of the penetrations in the attic with foam where wires pass thru the attic.
    -Installed foam boxes over our can lights.
    -Added a Loc top chimney damper.
    -Sealed all of the duct work coming off of the furnace.
    -Sealed all of the "boots" where the furnace ducting enters the floors in rooms.
    -I also added an addition butter fly damper to my dryer vent hose and my bathroom fan hose to stop cold air from pushing in.
    -I also installed a product called equaliz-air to let make up air into the our house in a controlled manner, for combustion items like the water heater, furnace, oven. It lets air in where you want it, rather than it sucking in thru windows and doors, this made a major difference.

All in all our house is a lot less drafty, feels warmer, and our energy bills this winter were lower than in previous years.
    Last edited by Pikey; 04-02-2014 at 12:32 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

11. Likes the phantom, McClintoc liked this post

It's amazing how much you can save by DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    It's amazing how much you can save by DIY.
    Yea, it is crazy. I still have a couple more things on my list to do, like blown in insulation in the walls, it may or may not get done. I have heard a few pros of doing it but many cons. like settling over a year's time.