GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Bigger tires - adjusting the speedo and tranny shift points

How does one go about reprogramming their speedometer and transmission shift points after they have installed larger tires? I need to do this to my truck.

Are both of those something any automotive shop can do? Can they be done together or are they separate tasks? Is it part of a custom tune? Can you DIY?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

some tuners can do it, anyone with a higher end code reader should be able to as well.

i know my diablo intune can, as can hypertech units.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

So I should be looking for a high-end code reader? I'm fine with doing it myself, I just need to know what tool to use. I have been thinking about having a code reader on-hand and one that will also adjust the speedo and tranny shift points would be perfect.

I just did a little research on the Hypertech Max Energy Power Programmer (#32500). Only thing is, it has mediocre reviews. It works for some people and does basically nothing for others. Although, my take on that is, for those that left bad reviews for it, they probably didn't fully know what they were doing. Anyways, does anyone around here have actual experience with the Hypertech unit? It does everything I am looking for so I am very interested in it; just concerned about the mixed reviews.

EDIT: I just found a DiabloSport Predator on sale for almost half the price of the Hypertech and it does all the same things. Anyone have any experience with the Predator?
    Last edited by McClintoc; 03-28-2014 at 10:03 PM.

maybe @06MonteSS can tell you more about it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Well, I just found a Superchips Flashpaq that will do all the things I am looking for. Basically, the Hypertech, DiabloSport and Superchips units do all the same stuff. I guess it just comes down to price. However, the Superchips unit seems to have more reviews and most of those reviews are favorable. It's priced between the Hypertech and Diablo units I have found. The Daiblo is the cheapest (currently it's on sale for $199) but it does not come with a USB cable and there are a lot of old threads on several truck forums talking about how the Predator unit has been phased out. I think I'll get the Superchips Flashpaq. I feel good with the reviews I have seen and it does come with a USB cable.

I have the PPE diesel economy tuner and does all that stuff. Same with the bully dog gt tuner which can be for gasoline engine. Almost any tuner now will also pull engine codes. Look up youtube videos on people using their tuners and go from there. That's how I decided what kind of tuner I wanted to get.

@05DuramaxLLY Thanks for the reply but I went ahead and got the Superchips Flashpaq. It had the most and the best reviews of the three I was looking at and it was priced in the middle of the three so I jumped on it.

Shoulda been on the ball and you coulda got a blackbear in person tune in fort worth this weekend. That would beat any of those hand helds.

Airaid. Borla. Blackbear. RCX.

The Squatcherado!

Quote Originally Posted by squatchy View Post
    Shoulda been on the ball and you coulda got a blackbear in person tune in fort worth this weekend. That would beat any of those hand helds.
    At what price, though? Also, keep in mind, I wasn't looking for a tune. I was looking for an all-in-one device mainly for speedo/tranny adjustments and OBD II reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by