GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

well guys i got a hook up from someone in town…I'm spending $450 on a full custom box( they call it down fire) for my truck, its under my extended cab passenger seat and 2- 10' kicker speakers and a amp to power it with cables and installation also with a year warranty… is that good?

2. Likes zuki82 liked this post
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I guess to your factory Radio? What amp? Ask if it has a Bass Knob to put up front so you can control it...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Engineer

Sorry to jump in here, folks, but it can be done for what he says! $3oo.? Lets see how I did it!
    I still have the box I made, just to fit behind the seat, 200 watts per channel amp and a passive cross-over, hooked up with a 12 " woofer! 2, 6" drivers, 2 tweeters! The hard part is making the box to fit where you want it to fit! It didn't have all the fancy lights, and such, but it rattled the widows, and sounded awesome!
    Sorry to interrupt, but old school still rules!

Blog Entries

Sounds like we've got some guys on here with some good systems. I'd love for some people to do overviews of their systems with videos too.
    Clint
    Rockwall, Texas

2008 Suburban 4WD BEAST! plus a couple of other Chevy rides!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

My Past Avalanche... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dooramp.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	58419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doorfront.jpg 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	58420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doorback.jpg 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	58421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckpiccenterch.jpg 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	58422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckpicscreens.jpg 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	58423 At retail $18G with Custom install Amp in each rear door 2 Sub setups to 1 JL Audio 500/1 I could have a 2 12w3's behind the seat and flick a seat for SQ and a 10w3 under the center Full 5.1 DTS set up.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtruckpicbeach.jpg 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	58424

7. Likes zuki82 liked this post
    Jr. Apprentice

It sound like you want a small improvement over your stock system, which on most modern trucks is quite good. I'm no audio system expert but I do replace my systems as needed. I have found through experience that Crutchfield, located near you, is an excellent resource. (They have excellent interactive website) They will ask you enough questions about your vehicle and what you are trying to do, and then give you excellent choices. I love having Bluetooth for convenience and safety, and Crutchfield gave me good advice on choosing a new Bluetooth head unit, then included ALL of the necessary plugs and adapters, along with detailed installation instructions

As long as you aren't trying to get the cops called by the neighbors or ride around with people grimacing at you, I think what you want is doable for the $300.00 range. First of all, you need to decide what it is that you want in a head unit. Bluetooth? USB connection? Single DIN, Double DIN?

For my money, I shop for my stuff mostly at Crutchfield. Their prices are good and they usually include everything you will need to install... Right down to an antenna connector adapter. I installed a Parrot Asteroid Smart (Android-based head unit) into my Oldsmobile Intrigue - a fairly rare car for people to be putting stereo systems in. They sent me EVERYTHING I needed including a PDF file with installation instructions complete with accurate drawings.

I have found a great appreciation for the "Underseat Subwoofer" such as the Lanzar Vector. In the cab of a truck, you really don't need to have 2 18" subs firing in from the bed. A small, compact under-seat unit will give you plenty. If you shop around, you should be able to find one for around $130.00 shipped. I also picked up a pair of Polk Audio speakers from Crutchfield for like 30 bux, and the box included adapters to convert the factory harness connector to the connectors for the speakers. No cutting!

I think a sound upgrade is very doable for under 300. Just know that it isn't going to be anything you are going to win any competitions or become a nuisance with it. It will give you great sound in the cab, however.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I did my audio in two phases, mostly because I wanted to keep the head unit. That was a bad choice. I wound up getting a Double DIN size unit that fit in style wise from Kenwood. Car Toys Open Box cut the price of that to $150. But it's the full DVD / Bluetooth setup. Back-up Camera compatible and internal crossover. built my own box for $40, then I seem to remember buying 6 new speakers for about $200, an amp to power the 10" sub and the front 4 speakers for $200.
    Now, in my high-school and college years I could have built a system for $200-$300, but then I was after enough bass to shake parts off the car. Now I'm after quality of sound instead of volume of low-end.
    I'd say it's possible but you're going to have to scour craigs-list for parts and look for open-box specials at audio shops. Don't forget all the wires you need to install the amp and sub, as well as the wires and face plate for the head unit
    2007 Silverado 1500 NNBS - Work truck and daily driver
    2002 Malibu - The wife's car, for now. I smell a Suburban in my future
    1976 Stingray - NOW OVER 100,000 MILES!

Pac-Freakin-Man,

Down firing are great boxes for pickup trucks. I used to have a Q-logic Down Firing in my 94' Extened Cab. I had a single Kicker Solobaric ( the Orginal Cirlce style) with a Class D mono block amp that was 4oo watts. It sounded great. Now, do you have a aftermarket radio or stock. The radio will make a world of difference. Just make sure whoever is installing it they know what they are doing because they can screw things up big. I always did my own installs. I hope this helps out.
    Chevy Coastie. 2010 Silverado Crew Cab. 20" Rims, 6000k Kelvin HIDs, Kelvin LED Dome lights, 20% tints

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12