GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Second Guessing Hypertech...

I've had the Hypertech Max Energy programmer on my wish list for a while. The main reason I want it is to improve gas mileage. I've recently been doing more research, reading lots of product reviews. I have read LOTS of reviews where people say they saw absolutely no MPG increase. Most of the reviews did state that they noticed performance improvements, but I'm not too concerned with that. My truck has NO problem getting moving. It really got me thinking if it would be worth the $380.

I already have a K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust. I have been driving no faster than 60 mph on my commute back and forth to work, driving about 50 miles/day round trip. I also keep my tires at about 40 psi. Doing this, I've been averaging 18-18.5 MPG. That's mostly highway with some city driving (about 70/30, highway/city). Do yall think I could really expect to get more than that with the Hypertech?

Sorry for the long post. I just thought I would speak my mind and get some input from you guys. I may end up taking the programmer off my wish list and spend that money on other stuff I want. Let me know what yall think!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

I had the Hypertec on my '96 Chevy and it did do more for performance than mpg, but it was noticeable. I had true dual Flowmasters and a KnN replacement filter, no intake change. I was getting about what you are getting now with that set up. It may take a while to recoup your money, but I bet you would sooner or later. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Legend

I noticed great mpg increase with my Max Energy 25% to be exact. I get 20mpg highway now with my 32" tires and 3.23 gears. Also when I bought my Hypertech it came with a 30 day no questions asked guarntee which I'm sure they still have. If you don't like it send it back .. I love mine.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.