GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Lightbulb 98" express 6.5TD coolant lose

Hi
    Found recently that my van losing coolant. checked oil-clean, oil cup-no trace of coolant, leaks all round-dry and any single drop of coolant on the ground. When I start the van i got no white smoke or coolant odor! I heard there maybe a crack comewhere or headgasket failed but live with hope not to get that...)

Hove can I check the engine properly????

By the way, the pressure in expansion tank checked also when cold and hot, all seems to be good!

Thank you for any help

Andrey

I would go to a local autoparts store and rent a coolant pressure tester. Hook it up and pump around 15 psi of pressure into the system. Generally, even small leaks will be shown when you do this. If you don't see the leak, listen for it. You will hear hissing as air escapes the system. Hopefully it is something easy like a bad hose clamp or even a water pump gasket. Please let us know what you find

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I would go to a local autoparts store and rent a coolant pressure tester. Hook it up and pump around 15 psi of pressure into the system. Generally, even small leaks will be shown when you do this. If you don't see the leak, listen for it. You will hear hissing as air escapes the system. Hopefully it is something easy like a bad hose clamp or even a water pump gasket. Please let us know what you find
    Thank you for replay. Thats what I intend to do next but I live in London and very hard to find a propa tools for American vehicles. Will let you know. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by krotov71 View Post
    Thank you for replay. Thats what I intend to do next but I live in London and very hard to find a propa tools for American vehicles. Will let you know. Cheers
    I find that very interesting. Here when you rent the tool from the store the kit has all the adapters needed for domestic and foreign cars.

I know! I have friend in Colorado so I have a little clue how it wors up there. ))

I broke down and bought the mityvac kit myself. It worked very well and found the leaks I had at the time. So not sure if this is available to you there?

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV4560.../dp/B003V9L05G

Quote Originally Posted by tsbrewers View Post
    I broke down and bought the mityvac kit myself. It worked very well and found the leaks I had at the time. So not sure if this is available to you there?

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV4560.../dp/B003V9L05G
    thank you for the link. At the moment I looking for someone who can do pressure and sniffer test together. If dont finf will buy then, it is only 38bucks. Cheers