GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: break in oil

Default break in oil

hey yall im re-building my tahoes 350 and i was wondering 2 things. first can i re use my head bolts or should i buy new ones, and what oil should i use to break it in

i appreciate the help

New heads bolts, Always! As far as break in oil, someone else will have to answer that.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

You MUST use break in oil. It contains zinc and without it you'll toast the engine in matter of minutes. http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...-break-in-oil/

The old head bolts cannot be used because they have actually stretched and distorted. After a few thousand heat soak cycles they get tempered. New bolts will give the best performance to evenly camp the head down and after spending a lot of money on the engine you don't want a blown head gasket down the road. Each time you torque any bolt, you are stretching it and it really never comes back to it's original length on a removal.