GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default First Suburban, Brake issue

Just bought a 1999 Suburban, 103k miles on it, i've put 1000 on it and just started having a brake issue. The brake light is on, and the brake pedal is going most of the way down before engaging the brakes. I've always owned older (60's and 70's) cars/trucks and would usually assume this is a Master Cylinder problem, that perhaps the front or rear brakes aren't working. Any thoughts? This was a very sudden changed, I had just gotten home from a long trip, towing a trailer. Brakes were normal the whole trip. Got in this morning and the brake light stays on and brake pedal goes down a long way. Any advise would be helpful and might save me some time/money. thanks

i would bet that you have a leak somewhere. maybe a rear wheel cylinder. I would pull the tires off and start looking around. fill the master up with fluid and have someone press the pedal. if it is a line leaking it will spray out under pressure.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

It is not uncommon for the brake lines to corrode and leak after 10 years or so if the truck is driven on salt-treated roads.

If you refill the reservoir and pump the brakes a couple of times there should be enough fluid ejected that you can find the leak by looking for the puddle and the drips.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Jr. Mechanic

Just had all the hard lines on my 03 Suburban 2500 replaced. Local shop charged me $760.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD