Results 1 to 10 of 15
03-31-2014, 10:03 PM #1
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
How can I pass emission test with an engine light on before next week?????
The engine light is on and has been forever. The truck runs fine and I don't feel like paying $1000 to fix everything that it needs. What can I do to pass emissions test. I heard of resting the light on way to the test???? will this work? I live in Ontario also and drive a 2000 Chevy Silverado.
03-31-2014, 10:42 PM #2
Do you know whats wrong and just dont want to fix it? As long as you reset it and they don't run it long enough for it to come back on
03-31-2014, 11:05 PM #3
I don't know the legalities for emissions testing where you are at. OBD-2 keeps track of when the codes have been cleared and sets a "Not Ready" for the I/M monitors. Around here if these indicators are showing "not ready" they will make you drive it until they are ready then re-test. If you know that you can clear, drive enough to get the I/M monitors to ready and test it before the CEL comes on again (do have a scanner that will tell you the I/M monitor status?), then you may try it.'98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
'92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
"My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM #4
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
Yes I have a scanner so you are saying drive until the light comes back on then reset and drive back to emissions test?
04-01-2014, 11:09 AM #5
that you had farm plates and don't need an e-test when you were asking us about how to cut off your cats. So, what is the true story? We are a friendly community here, A bunch of GM truck guys trying to help each other out and learn some new things in the process. But, when a guy starts contradicting himself in posts and make it seem like he is lying or not telling the full story, other members may decide to stop attempting to lend that member help.
as far as your e-test, I know in the states, most e-checks involve a visual inspection of all the exhaust components. So, if your cats are gone, even without a service engine soon light, you fail the test. I don't know if your area requires a muffler, but since you stated in the thread that I linked above that you had removed the muffler you may fail anyway. Maybe @RayVoy can tell us how they work in Canada.
Last edited by Pikey; 04-01-2014 at 01:14 PM.
1995 Silverado 4x4
6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge
2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)
squatchy liked this post04-01-2014, 01:24 PM #6
- Join Date
- Apr 2010
- Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....
Maybe the rules changed up there?? Anyway as said above your truck has a Bank system So when you clear the codes it will take some driving 1-5 days to reset and be ready . Get it read first and see what code pops up then tell us to see if we can help08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X
04-01-2014, 01:45 PM #7
according to the Ontario.ca website, farm trucks exempt. But, I did see that if your truck can not pass they let you make $450 in repairs and then give you a "conditional pass". So, if the op does not pass the most he would have to spend is $450 to get the pass.
This is from the site:
To qualify for a conditional pass:
- you must make all emissions-related repairs that cost up to – but not more than – $450, before taxes (this includes the cost of the diagnostic)
- your repair estimate and actual repairs must be emissions-related
- the repairs must be done by a certified repair technician at an accredited Drive Clean facility
After clearing the codes the vehicle must complete a full drive cycle before the PCM will flag everything as "ready"
A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.
To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:
- Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
- Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
- Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
- Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
- Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
- Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
- Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
- Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
it is basically a complete self test of all the systems on the truck
04-01-2014, 04:42 PM #8
Pikey; As in the US, each province has a different set of test requirements. I live in New Brunswick and we don't have emissions testing, we do require an annual vehicle safety inspection. Vehicles 24 years old and newer must have all factory designed equipment to pass.
In Ontario, annual safety inspections are not required unless the vehicle is used commercially; I do believe however, that annual emissions testing is required.
The Ontario emissions testing, as far as I know, requires downloading emissions info from the ECM and a tailpipe emissions check.
The cats would be required.Ray
'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
'05 Envoy XL (sold)
04-01-2014, 08:26 PM #9
2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper
04-01-2014, 10:01 PM #10
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
I would first like to say I do have farm plates and I am trying to get this done for my girlfriend who has also a 2000 chevy Silverado (completely stock). I guessi could of made that clear but didn't think it would be a big deal.
- - - Updated - - -
After resetting the engine light it comes on within 10 minutes. So im wondering if I show up to the etest with no engine light showing and then when it comes back on reset it and come back the next day ?
Tags for this Thread