GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend

Default GM CEO Mary Barra Congressional Hearings on Recalls

I was watching yesterday the hearings about the cobalt ignition switch . I do not care much about this specific part.. I was just listening to learn how GM operates internally . My feeling is after an hour plus of the congressional questions to her she is incompetent to RUN GM. It appeared that the political reps knew more about this switch failure than she did . I find that unacceptable. She was aware of this issue 31 jan 2014. now it is 1 apr 2014, no excuse.

The problem with all of these component failures and GM hiding these failures is not with just this part. sure some people died and this could have been avoided if GM did the fix 10 years ago . this it is stated would have cost 57 cents more to manufacture and that added cost is was not acceptable at the time GM made this decision.

GM should not use the same part number on a change in the part , due to the part being defective and or not making the GM engineered spec.the part number should have a REV-A after the number with one change and if more changes are made B C D E etc....

GM should not use any part / manufactured component that does not meet the designed spec.

GM should make available all TSB about an owners vehicle to the owner. this can be done by having a web site dedicated to owners where they type in their VIN number and all the TSB for their vehicle is displayed in its entirety.

hopefully these hearings will change how these profit over safety corporations operate. the people that got killed due to an added 57 cent part cost did not die for nothing .

what are your thoughts ?

2. Likes the phantom, ChevyFan liked this post

Didn't she just get the job as CEO like a month ago? I'm not so sure it's fair to judge someone who just took the position then has to sit for congressional hearings. I think the person who was the CEO during the timeframe of the faulty switches should be the one in the seat. I don't think it's fair to hold the current GM accountable for what was done 10 or so years ago. Plenty of executives and engineers have come and gone in the past decade and there was the bailout in between. GM today isn't neccessarily the same GM as 10 years ago. Yes, GM should answer for what has happened but that doesn't mean the current people are the most responsible. Either way, it's a huge mess and I agree that hopefully this will change some internal operations at the company.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

4. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

I can see the points that both you guys are making. I agree with J-cat in the aspect that she should now know this issue inside and out. She is going in front of congress for heavens sake. They should not know more about it than her. But, she is also running a Huge company every day. As for what @McClintoc said, yea, she is new. But, she is the face of the company now, she represents them, past and future. Should she be held personally responsible for what happened? No, I don't think so, but she should be able to answer the questions.

That being said, maybe her "lack of knowledge" on the subject is on purpose. Like we saw with the Toyota president after the stuck gas pedal issue. You are not hiding anything if you are not informed of the issue.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

That's one thing that ticks me off when people talk about this issue. Idiots like to bring up the government bailout and they act like GM is a horrible company, never grasping the fact that other auto makers have had serious issues recently. Toyota had the gas pedal ordeal. Ford had the engine fires and the Explorer/Firestone debacle. No auto maker is infallible.

7. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    other auto makers have had serious issues recently. Toyota had the gas pedal ordeal. Ford had the engine fires and the Explorer/Firestone debacle. No auto maker is infallible.
    like i said in one of my other posts on this, they shouldnt be making the same mistakes other automakers make also. Not so much as having the problem as it is to immediately take action to correct it.learn from others mistakes!! Also when you snooze you lose.. really has nothing to do with the bail out imo.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

9. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

From what I've heard about her, she's a very open and nice person who doesn't stab people in the back, etc, etc, etc. That's the "new CEO" that's being molded these days, where they are more like a figurehead/politician/fund raiser, and less of a competent visionary who can shape the future of the company. (Not that I'm speaking towards her competency, just talking about a trend in corporate America)

I'm going to watch some of it myself. From reading the transcripts, she seemed to be trying to not get pinned down on anything while she was in the hotseat. Plus she offered up way too many apologies for my taste, but then I still do business the old fashioned way.

Not only that, we don't REALLY know if these deaths were ONLY related to the faulty ignition switches. In one case the person who died (I've heard) was legally drunk when she crashed. So, who knows.

GM Congressional Hearings

GM Post Hearings Statement
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 04-02-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not only that, we don't REALLY know if these deaths were ONLY related to the faulty ignition switches. In one case the person who died (I've heard) was legally drunk when she crashed. So, who knows.
    This is one of my biggest issues with this whole mess. It's not 100% GM's fault. First and foremost, cars shouldn't be shutting off while being driven but the deaths are not soley due the faulty ignition switches. Each death was due to a combination of things. One person was drunk. That 16yo girl that has been all over the news the past couple of weeks, she was driving during a rain storm. But, you can't sue the weather so people will just go after GM.

The ultimate issue is that driving is taken for granted in this country and people don't truely know how to drive. More spefically, most people don't know what to do when their car has troube at speed. If our driver's education courses were more in-depth and spent some time teaching new drivers how to handle trouble, some of those deaths may have been avoided.

12. Likes zuki82 liked this post

The sad part is that you can see from the on position of the key, any weight on the ring, coupled with a bump, would make shutting the key off quite easily, from its run position its more or less a fulcrum with leverage not on its side.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

14. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    This is one of my biggest issues with this whole mess. It's not 100% GM's fault. First and foremost, cars shouldn't be shutting off while being driven but the deaths are not soley due the faulty ignition switches. Each death was due to a combination of things. One person was drunk. That 16yo girl that has been all over the news the past couple of weeks, she was driving during a rain storm. But, you can't sue the weather so people will just go after GM.
    IMO, regardless if one was drunk, it was raining out, or was going to fast for conditions(imprudent speed)if an accident was about to occur and the key was easily turned into the off postion before or during this event, which in turn removed power steering, power brakes, and no airbag deployment after impact, and someone died, I would say the majority of the fault would be GM. To say that because it was raining out and the girl did not have driving experience in that type of weather and was probably going to fast and crashed and died because the airbags did not go off was any fault of the girls is not right. Yeah maybe the accident itself could have been avoided had she had the driving experience but to say that she died because of the combination of other things besides the ignition is any of her fault is wrong. How would you like it if it was your daughter, just got her license, maybe only has a year of driving experience and the key turned off right in the middle of a major intersection. Like she should know exactly what to do and if she didnt then she shouldnt be driving. Maybe Im mis-interpreting whats being said here but If it was my daughter that got killed because the key turned back and she couldnt manuever the vehicle correctly because of no driving experience then I would be at war with some of these statements.

On a side note I saw the story about the girl drinking, They did not say she was legally drunk(At least the story I saw anyway), They just stated she had been drinking but did not indicate how much.. They did say that if the airbags had gone off, she probably would be alive today. So I guess if I were here parents I still would sue GM, Because I dont think that her punishment for drinking and driving should have been death. Although some may beg to differ with me.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 04-02-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fixed a broken quote box.

Yeah, here is one of the "ignition deaths" that is talked about in the media.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/bu...shes.html?_r=0

Amber had put herself at considerable risk on July 29, when her car hit a tree around 4 a.m. in Dentsville, Md. She was not wearing her seatbelt, was legally drunk and had reached 69 miles an hour in a 25 m.p.h. zone just before the crash that killed her, according to a crash report.

Around 5 a.m., Ms. Christian, Amber’s birth mother, got a call from Amber’s adoptive mother, Terry DiBattista, telling her that Amber was dead. “I screamed,” Ms. Christian said. “I was so loud that it woke my husband up.”

The air bags in Amber’s car were off when it hit the tree. Her adoptive family hired an investigator who said the air bags did not deploy — in fact, could not deploy because the ignition switch had shut off the electrical system — and the family sued General Motors.
    The death of anyone's child is a tradegy, but let's look at the facts.

• She was legally drunk!
    • Not wearing her seatbelt!
    • DRIVING AT 69 MPH in a 25 MPH ZONE

GM SETTLED WITH THIS FAMILY! Maybe she bounced off a curb or fell asleep and her hand collapsed down on the ignition ... it was 4 am after all. While still a horrible thing, it's not the same thing as Grandma's ignition getting shut off on the way to church and getting stuck on some train tracks, is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    IMO, regardless if one was drunk, it was raining out, or was going to fast for conditions(imprudent speed)if an accident was about to occur and the key was easily turned into the off postion before or during this event, which in turn removed power steering, power brakes, and no airbag deployment after impact, and someone died, I would say the majority of the fault would be GM. To say that because it was raining out and the girl did not have driving experience in that type of weather and was probably going to fast and crashed and died because the airbags did not go off was any fault of the girls is not right. Yeah maybe the accident itself could have been avoided had she had the driving experience but to say that she died because of the combination of other things besides the ignition is any of her fault is wrong. How would you like it if it was your daughter, just got her license, maybe only has a year of driving experience and the key turned off right in the middle of a major intersection. Like she should know exactly what to do and if she didnt then she shouldnt be driving. Maybe Im mis-interpreting whats being said here but If it was my daughter that got killed because the key turned back and she couldnt manuever the vehicle correctly because of no driving experience then I would be at war with some of these statements.

On a side note I saw the story about the girl drinking, They did not say she was legally drunk(At least the story I saw anyway), They just stated she had been drinking but did not indicate how much.. They did say that if the airbags had gone off, she probably would be alive today. So I guess if I were here parents I still would sue GM, Because I dont think that her punishment for drinking and driving should have been death. Although some may beg to differ with me.
    I do see your point on this @the phantom; but I think I read that there was an independent study that showed that there are other vehicles from other manufactures that offer less resistance to being shut off. Maybe it's just the position and the fact that people load up their key rings. I know my wife keeps about 5 keys on her key ring ... plus a card/money wallet! That's in the Traverse, and the key in there is rock solid, so no worries.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by