GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Legend

I can fully understand your position that more regulations , like forcing these automakers to notify you If they feel your vehicle has a safety concern is just what you do not want to hear...

best have a few people get killed first then you will find out threw the media. just like this issue now. less regulations ,less government it is more efficient ..

2. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Well I would totally agree that there needs to be some research done on these victims...to determine what fault the actual ignition switch played and what the rest of the scenario was (although, they are still victims, was anything goofy happening like drunk driving, as that one example showed).

With that said, this is still a major fiasco...much like the Ford / Firestone incident...with the Ford Exploder, err Explorer rollovers. This definitely is impacting a set make/model of GM vehicles with that part number. SO to brush it off like the media is making a mountain out of a mole-hill is ludicrous. And while, I'm usually very anti-sue and Pro-Business. When you hear that a .57 cent increase per part (or whatever it was) would have fixed this issue, then there better be some Punitive Damages awarded to these families. C'mon, GM has to learn a lesson that it's better to save lives and spend extra money VS know there is a problem, do nothing and people are dying as a result. How's this for real life...my sister in-law has a Chevy Cobalt...has had many issues with the ignition (never when driving)... her specific issues were always that after putting the car in park, her key would not come out of the ignition. She had it replaced with the same faulty part (information we know now) probably 4 times (all at my In-laws expense)... And now all this is coming out. Needless to say, my Mother-in-Law is one of those that very much believes her daughter could have been in an accident while driving it...and let's just say they are not pleased with GM. Will they buy another GM product......probably not. Like mentioned, I think they spent $1200+ on ignitions in that dumb Cobalt over 4 years.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZ71 View Post
    Well I would totally agree that there needs to be some research done on these victims...to determine what fault the actual ignition switch played and what the rest of the scenario was (although, they are still victims, was anything goofy happening like drunk driving, as that one example showed).

With that said, this is still a major fiasco...much like the Ford / Firestone incident...with the Ford Exploder, err Explorer rollovers. This definitely is impacting a set make/model of GM vehicles with that part number. SO to brush it off like the media is making a mountain out of a mole-hill is ludicrous. And while, I'm usually very anti-sue and Pro-Business. When you hear that a .57 cent increase per part (or whatever it was) would have fixed this issue, then there better be some Punitive Damages awarded to these families. C'mon, GM has to learn a lesson that it's better to save lives and spend extra money VS know there is a problem, do nothing and people are dying as a result. How's this for real life...my sister in-law has a Chevy Cobalt...has had many issues with the ignition (never when driving)... her specific issues were always that after putting the car in park, her key would not come out of the ignition. She had it replaced with the same faulty part (information we know now) probably 4 times (all at my In-laws expense)... And now all this is coming out. Needless to say, my Mother-in-Law is one of those that very much believes her daughter could have been in an accident while driving it...and let's just say they are not pleased with GM. Will they buy another GM product......probably not. Like mentioned, I think they spent $1200+ on ignitions in that dumb Cobalt over 4 years.
    I would have your mother in-law find those ignition repair/replacement receipts make copy's and contact NHTSA . I am sure they will be interested .perhaps GM will pay her for those repairs. 1200 is a lot ..

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    I can fully understand your position that more regulations , like forcing these automakers to notify you If they feel your vehicle has a safety concern is just what you do not want to hear...

best have a few people get killed first then you will find out threw the media. just like this issue now. less regulations ,less government it is more efficient ..
    More often than not, MORE government regulations means HIGHER prices for everyone.

I don't trust the media, they almost always over sensationalize everything to gain viewer-ship.

I'm not saying that the automaker was not at fault, but can it be pinned 100% on the ignition switches.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Remember ... There are two recalls going on. Ignition and power steering assist.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I just told my 22 year old son to have his Pontiac G6 vin # checked, I had heard some years were effected on the power steering and he has had issues with his. Not sure what year his car is though. I remember a couple years ago we tried finding the power steering fluid reservoir and there was none. Some sort of electric power steering or something.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123