GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Cai

Question Cai

Does anyone reccomend a certain company, or have heard one company's are better over anothers? I know most of it is preference, application, price, and/or advertising though. I'm trying to find one for my truck. I do go off road frequently, either beach or trail riding, mostly during hunting season. And want something thats going to have the best performance, but not spend over $500 or so. I have only talked to one other person with a silverado, and he had the AEM brute force, and said it was the best one you can buy.

Cohen

03 Silverado Z71 - Rough Country 2-1/2" Leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers , '06 17" Silverado rims, K&N 57 series CAI, Color matched bow tie, KC 57 series Hi-Lights mounted in grille, Pioneer 7" Double Din with iPod hookup, Cobra CB, Wilson 1000 antenna, billet grille, T-bar crank, removed side moldings, Bose

Blog Entries

There are many to choose from. I own a K&N and an AFE on my trucks and there are a half-dozen more companies available. Do your homework and research each one to find the best gains (for HP and Torque), the best filtration in either an oiled or dry filter, and so on. Look in our Performance forum and you will find hundreds of posts on CAI's.

Good luck!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is if you do lots of off-roading where water may splash up into your engine compartment, you may want to stay away from the open filter intakes (K&N for example). If you don't go running through creeks or really deep mud, it shouldn't be a problem. If you do, you may want to check out Volant. They have enclosed air boxes. I'm sure there are others as well, but that's the one that comes to mind. I have a K&N on my truck and love it, but mine has mostly been a street machine.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    One thing you might want to keep in mind is if you do lots of off-roading where water may splash up into your engine compartment, you may want to stay away from the open filter intakes (K&N for example). If you don't go running through creeks or really deep mud, it shouldn't be a problem. If you do, you may want to check out Volant. They have enclosed air boxes. I'm sure there are others as well, but that's the one that comes to mind. I have a K&N on my truck and love it, but mine has mostly been a street machine.
    The new K&N is in an enclosed box as well. Better pricing on the K&N for sure
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

AEM or Volant for you. Both are around $300 dollars.

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffer View Post
    The new K&N is in an enclosed box as well. Better pricing on the K&N for sure
    Ah, I didn't realize that. Mine has an open filter, so I thought they were all like that. I didn't realize they went through a design change. Thanks for the clarification!

Go whith a K&N. Their filter is purdy.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Yeah here is the part number for 07-08 NBS. KAN63-3058 It doesn't show it in the pics anywhere but is an enclosed box now. I got mine for $235 shipped. If you look at the pick in the link. There is one hole that you can see in the top right. There are four more and that is how you screw the top of the box on [media]http://kandn.com/images/l/63-3058.jpg[/media]

Blog Entries

Default Go with Volant!

Volant's filter is a dry filter, which is better because alot of other CAI's use oiled filters and they can damage your MAF. That can be expensive to replace. And is virtually impossible to clean. Two Guys Garage (TV show) installed a Volant on a Silverado with a 6.0L and got 23 HP increase. DYNO Tested!!!!!

I will be buying one for my 02 Avalanche 2500 8.1L as soon as I can afford it.

It will run you around 350$

ok so now I'm between the Volant $302.95 & GM Performance Parts $343.62 both after shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by