GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default First Oil Change

I did the first oik change on my 2008 1500 4wd ext cab 5.3L Silverado LTZ yesterday. I hadn't done my own oil changes on my past two Silverado ext cabs, mainly do to lack of time, or the weather was bad and the trucks wouldn't fit in what's supposed to be a garage.

It was a nice day yesterday and I was really looking forward to doing this. I ran the truck up on some ramps, got under and found where the filter and drain plug was, and started into it. The first thing I noticed was the drain plug was on the side of the oil pan, so I adjusted the placement of my oil pan off to the side more. I didn't adjust it enough. When I removed the plug, the oil shot out over the pan and out beyond the side of the truck!

I have never seen oil come out of any of past vehicles with the force this oil did. It was like it was under pressure, rather than gravity. I know the oil is thiner than what used to be and that it has 6 qts rather that 4 or 5 qts, but is this normal??

One possibility is that I had the front end up too much, rather than just sliding under the truck while it's flat on the ground.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have not changed my own in a while either, but I usually made at least a small mess when I did. It might help to remove the oil "fill" cap in case there is pres. on the system. Just a thought.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

thats normal. everythings good. feels good to get under there and take care of your baby don't it.

It is quite normal for the oil to come shooting out of the oil pan. I've worked on my diesel tractor and shot oil everywhere before finally finding that spot and following in the stream. If your truck has any height to it and a side mounted plug, expect explosive oil changes.

I personally would not run my truck onto ramps due to the fact that you will not be getting all the oil out of the truck. Also a good hint would be to change your oil on a gravel or dirt pad. Which avoids getting the concrete dirtied up. Another thing is when you get oil on something. Clean it up asap to avoid discoloring and dirt adhering to the surface.

i did my 5.3 the other day... took i think 6
    08 5.3 silverado...toyo m.t 33 12.50 18 rockstars...leveled with 2" blocks...cherrybomb catback...6k hids

I did mine at 2200 miles . Same thing happened oil shot out like a gieser.

2008 Silverado 1500 Crew cab, Silver birch metallic . 4.8ltr Leer topper