GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: gas problems

Default gas problems

I have a 1988 gmc sierra 3500 dump truck, with a 5.7 engine that does not want to rev up on a pull. Seems like not getting enough gas. I had put a new gas tank on and it ran great. I then purchased gas a few days later, and its been going down hill ever since. Dont know if the carburator has a filter built into it, or maybe i have an electrical problem. Truck just has no power. Anyone ever had that problem? Thanks for any help

Did you check to see if possibly a rag or other material could be blocking the pickup in the tank?
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

Quote Originally Posted by slim2 View Post
    Dont know if the carburator has a filter built into it,
    Carburetors usually have a filter, there is also a gas filter that may need to be changed.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Exclamation

I would see if the fuel pump is working both steady and that there isn't a leak internally, For that to happen, you oil level that appears on the dipstick would be unusually high, and of course, it would smell like gasoline.

I'm assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump and not a electric pump, Your truck isn't a fuel injected model is it ?

Jr. Apprentice

In 1988 they came with bot TBI (Throttle Body Injection) or a Quadrajet. If you let me know which one you have I can give you sound advice on what to look for. The other item that stands out is this..Does the truck have catalytic converter(s)???? If you have a cat (or more than 1), you may have a restricted exhaust!! Remember...an engine is little more than a large air compressor. The more air you can get in & out of it is directly related to the amount of power it will make. Your description of "lack of revs" screams exhaust restriction..... Though a lot of 1 tons were still exempt at that time. I need more information!
    ​Everything in life sucks, except the things that should!