GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Now my truck wont start??? 1994 Chevy 1500

I have a 94 Chevy 1500 4.3 Vortec... I changed my battery today and now my truck wont start. I did a load test and tested my alternator and starter and they all passed. After putting in my new battery my truck wouldn't start. I have power to my truck but the starter doesn't make a sound or a click when I try to start my truck. Even when I put my old battery in it does the same thing. Does this sound like my starter went out?

Jr. Engineer

What made you think it needed a new battery in the first place? Did you do a top off charge on the new battery before you put it in?
    Unless you can take it out and get it someplace to have it tested, I gotta say "yup!"

Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    What made you think it needed a new battery in the first place? Did you do a top off charge on the new battery before you put it in?
    Unless you can take it out and get it someplace to have it tested, I gotta say "yup!"
    I work at a battery store and tested the new one before and after I installed it. I also tested the old one and it barley passed but the cca were lower then my truck calls for.

- - - Updated - - -

My gauges, radio and lights work fine. We did a compression start yesterday and the truck ran fine. Just now sure if it is the starter or a solenoid

You may find this thread and its accompanying link to an article describing starter diagnostics of interest. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-a-bad-starter
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Jr. Engineer

Well, I have seen where a dragging starter has killed a battery, when the starter finally died, it took the battery too!
    The solenoid will come on the starter, should, most likely, ought a!

- - - Updated - - -

if you work at a battery store, did you check the alternator, just for kicks?

You may have tripped the security system. I remember a couple of threads where the security system shut down after a battery change. I don't recall the fix. Try a search, see if anything pops up.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)