GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Default Daytime Running Lights ..

I know there are about a million Gm pickups on the road w one DTRL out .. and quite frankly I think it looks bad... it aravates me that GM has done nothing about all this.. and will charge about 200.00$ to fix this problem.
    My drivers side DTRL recently went out. It is not the bulb due to the fact that i can knock on the lense and it will come on .. for a little while at least. (as with all other GM trucks w this issue)
    SO I took my truck to the local Chevy dealer (Monument Chevy) they tell me that it is not under warranty so it is not coverd ... it is the thing the bulb goes in (sorry im old ..cant think of the name) my argument is if its a common problem i believe it should be fixed for free ( if the owner chooses to)
    Monument Chevy has prevously pissed me off with another problem I have had .. my cd player wont take a disk w/o me pushing it in with another disk. .. i took my truck in and found out that this too is a common problem that GM has on my type of Head Unit and it too is not under warranty and it costs 300.00$ to ship it off and have it fixed ...mind you that much money you can buy a nice aftermarket CD player.
    Sorry for the ramble i just dont see why a common problem/defect is not fixed for free.

How many of yall have a DTRM out or a CD player issue?

and does anyone go to Monument Chevy for parts/service???

Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

bump.........

I know that on my old '96 Chevy you could just barely depress the emergency brake and it would turn off the DRLs, if you just don't want them on. I agree that if there is a "common reoccurring problem" it should be fixed, but GM didn't ask my opinion. I moved from La Porte while they were building Monument Chevrolet, so I don't have any experience with their service. Good Luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

my dtls and brake lights always go out, so im going LED

My CD player is starting to do the same thing. Sometimes it won't take the CD all the way in, and will spit it back out. I either have to stick it in there again, or shove it in as far as I can with my finger tips before it will finally take it. It can be frustrating for sure. I plan on getting an aftermarket head unit....eventually.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Legend

Blog Entries

I totally agree with you! Sometimes there are just way too many common problems and it should be one of those things that manufacturers take responsibility for.

To give you an example of my own- there is a huge problem with mustang (and others) seatbelts. Both in my 2000 won't retract properly. When I did a quick check on it it seems to be one of those problems that is just posted everywhere. The fix? Buy new seatbelts w/mechanism. Not even any after markets available. You'd think with all the aftermarket items available, something this common would have been picked up by someone that would manufacture after-market seatbelt spring/mechanisms. The only thought I had was that it was too much of an important part of a vehicle from a safety stand-point and most people probably don't want to risk it.

But anyhow... back to your post.

I've always, always noticed that a lot of the gm trucks run around with a 'burned out' drl bulb. I had no idea it wasn't actually the bulb that went out.

When I bought the suburban I noticed that both drl were non-functioning. I did a little search on my own and I'm not even sure where I found it... may have been here... but there was a little piece of advice that said if you wanted to do away with your drl and not have the problem of lights going out, which was common, then all you had to do was disconnect [insert plug name here], find the peg that had the drl voltage going through it, and either break it off for permanent non-functioning drl or fold a piece of electrical tape on it and insert the plug back in. I'm not sure if they were talking about the actually light plugs or what. I have to say I didn't pay it much mind at the time because I was having the opposite problem.

But... if I remember correctly and that's accurate advice, I would suggest that you unplug the lights, see if there's any voltage to any of the wires with the drls on and then none with the drl are off and maybe be able to isolate which ones to just cut! Save you a few bucks and some aggravation.

Even more than that.. if you ARE able to find one wire (or set) that are for drl, why not wire them to a relay and have the relay turn on an installed pair of lights? Maybe some mini-driving or mini-fog lights behind the grill, or on the push bumper, or under it or something? Just a thought.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go sell products with components that break easily and then tell people that they have to pay to fix it with the same easily breakable component at an outrageous price. (My guess is I wouldn't be in business all too long if I actually did)
    Last edited by Springthing; 10-01-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

My cd player would spit my cd out when I start the truck, only sometimes. I thought the cd player kinda sucked anyway so I just bought an after market.
    Adam
    01 Silverado ext cab
    5.3 Vortec
    117,000 miles
    2" drop shackles, bak-flip bed cover, 1 10 stealth enclosure, 600 watt mtx amp, 20% tint, flowmaster super44

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    I totally agree with you! Sometimes there are just way too many common problems and it should be one of those things that manufacturers take responsibility for.

To give you an example of my own- there is a huge problem with mustang (and others) seatbelts. Both in my 2000 won't retract properly. When I did a quick check on it it seems to be one of those problems that is just posted everywhere. The fix? Buy new seatbelts w/mechanism. Not even any after markets available. You'd think with all the aftermarket items available, something this common would have been picked up by someone that would manufacture after-market seatbelt spring/mechanisms. The only thought I had was that it was too much of an important part of a vehicle from a safety stand-point and most people probably don't want to risk it.

But anyhow... back to your post.

I've always, always noticed that a lot of the gm trucks run around with a 'burned out' drl bulb. I had no idea it wasn't actually the bulb that went out.

When I bought the suburban I noticed that both drl were non-functioning. I did a little search on my own and I'm not even sure where I found it... may have been here... but there was a little piece of advice that said if you wanted to do away with your drl and not have the problem of lights going out, which was common, then all you had to do was disconnect [insert plug name here], find the peg that had the drl voltage going through it, and either break it off for permanent non-functioning drl or fold a piece of electrical tape on it and insert the plug back in. I'm not sure if they were talking about the actually light plugs or what. I have to say I didn't pay it much mind at the time because I was having the opposite problem.

But... if I remember correctly and that's accurate advice, I would suggest that you unplug the lights, see if there's any voltage to any of the wires with the drls on and then none with the drl are off and maybe be able to isolate which ones to just cut! Save you a few bucks and some aggravation.

Even more than that.. if you ARE able to find one wire (or set) that are for drl, why not wire them to a relay and have the relay turn on an installed pair of lights? Maybe some mini-driving or mini-fog lights behind the grill, or on the push bumper, or under it or something? Just a thought.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go sell products with components that break easily and then tell people that they have to pay to fix it with the same easily breakable component at an outrageous price. (My guess is I wouldn't be in business all too long if I actually did)
    i have consiederd some fog lights behind the grill

any input on that

Jr. Apprentice

Is there no way to shut the DTRL off without having an expensive switch installed?
    Winny

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Is there no way to shut the DTRL off without having an expensive switch installed?
    im my truck you can simply turn the head light switch down to the O and they will stay off untill the next time you take the truck out of park.. but you do have to do this every time . you can also pull the fuse for the DTRL's

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by