GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Wheel Spacers then...

Folks,

Current truck is a 1996 GMC Suburban K2500. Wanted to get a suspension lift, but struggling to find anyone out here to do it. (I'm in Saudi Arabia ) . Was thinking of getting some bigger tyres. Currently on standard 16" rims withy 275 size tyres. Could go up to a 305 size tyre but thought about wheel spacers to give the truck a wider and a more aggressive stance.

Anyone used wheel spacers with standard size rims / pics of before and after / and any recommendations?

Thanks.
    1996 K2500 Suburban / 7.4L V8 / 4x4
    3" Body Lift / 17" Rims with 285/70/17 tyres
    Kenwood Amp / 8x10 Rear Speakers / Sub Woofer
    Chrome Side Step Bars / Magnaflow Exhaust

I have always been a bit afraid of wheel spacers. I understand that you are in an area where aftermarket rims with different backspacing may be hard to come by. Wheel spacers can eat up wheel bearings and other suspension parts. I don't think they are all that safe. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Do it!!!!!!!! I've used wheel spacers many times. Wider is better.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    I have always been a bit afraid of wheel spacers. I understand that you are in an area where aftermarket rims with different backspacing may be hard to come by. Wheel spacers can eat up wheel bearings and other suspension parts. I don't think they are all that safe. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it!
    A wheel spacer doesn't put any more stress on a hub or wear out suspension parts any faster than a wheel with a negative offset would. No need to worry.

Airaid. Borla. Blackbear. RCX.

The Squatcherado!

No, they don't, but both kill front bearings. Anyway, for spacers thicker than 1/4" to 3/8" you need longer studs.

Motorcitybolton.com has nice wheel spacers. I have 1.5" spacers and no need for longer studs. The work great! I recommend them. Got em in my rig

I have 1/2 inch spacers on my rear wheels. My brother had 1 1/2 inch or 1 inch I'm not sure. Didn't really notice that much of a difference but then again I didn't look at it before only after. His was like a adapter type spacer. He sold the truck and they went with it :/

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Personally, I would not use them. I just don't like them. Like said above, they tend to eat wheel bearings.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Right, a quick snap shot analysis, 4 in favour, two against and one advisory. Hmmm. Not quite a definitive answer. I suppose I could try them and take them off if I don't like them? Was thinking of around 2 inches. Would that be too much for a big heavy unit like the Suburban? Would be a much cheaper option than full suspension lift, and new set of rims + new tyres.....

Thanks for the replies though - appreciated for a complete novice like myself.

A friend of mine, who is a mechanic, says that he has not seen wheel spacers in a long time till he did my brakes. He said it makes more sense to buy rims with the negative offset rather then buying wheel spacers but with that said my spacers were only $89 a pair compared to $600+ for a set of rims. All depends on what kind of funds you have and what you want. Low budget build I'd get spacers and save for the rims but that's just me haha

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by