GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What size tires are people running?

Im picking up a 6" lift for my 96 k1500 and im curious about what size tire people are running. It will be lifted a total of 8". I just bought new 33" Discoverer STT's. I also heard about regearing if you put 35's on? Pics please

@Pikey had some 37's I believe on his truck. Check out his pics.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

They were 38.5's. I was running a 6" bds kit and a 3" body lift. I had to do some minor trimming to the bottom rear of the front fenders to fit the 38.5's. I ran 35's and 36's with no issues.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I have to run small tires for a bit until the pocket book gets fatter haha which lifts are the better ones? I heard that rough country's 6" lift is really nice but I haven't heard anything about bds or any other brand

Quote Originally Posted by 96GMCSLE View Post
    I have to run small tires for a bit until the pocket book gets fatter haha which lifts are the better ones? I heard that rough country's 6" lift is really nice but I haven't heard anything about bds or any other brand
    As far as I am concerned, BDS is the best kit you can get for that model year. I had a 6" superlift kit on it and replaced it with the bds kit. The bds kit has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. If you get in a wreck and fix he body, all you have to do is show bds the damaged lift components and they send you new ones. A guy that works at the local parts store has a rough country on his 96. It just looks cheap, it does not have the added supports that add a cross member and then go to the front end. After buying a crappy kit once and paying to replace it I would not go with any other company than bds for that model year

Buy cheap, buy twice.

That phrase applies to so many things: car parts, gun parts, computer parts, etc, etc.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

That phrase applies to so many things: car parts, gun parts, computer parts, etc, etc.
    I never had a rough country lift. I have compared the bds kit and the rough country kit side by side. We used to have an awesome offroad shop near me that had all the lift kits on display. Although the brackets look the same, bds had theirs welded the entire length of seams while the rough country had a few 1" long welds along the seam. I am not saying that the rough country will not hold up. But, in my opinion the bds kit looks nicer with the completely welded seams, plus I can not imagine the amount of water/mud/salt entering those brackets causing corrosion. I did a lot of research after installing the junk superlift kit, The kit that I could find not complaints about, with the best warranty and reviews was BDS. The difference between the superlift kit and the bds kit were night and day as far as how stable they felt under the truck.
    Last edited by Pikey; 04-10-2014 at 09:44 AM.

BDS kits do look nice but I just cant justify spending another 2k on a truck that I already plugged to much money in. I'm opting for a used complete 6" tuff spindle lift kit for $600

Quote Originally Posted by 96GMCSLE View Post
    BDS kits do look nice but I just cant justify spending another 2k on a truck that I already plugged to much money in. I'm opting for a used complete 6" tuff spindle lift kit for $600
    If you are comfortable installing a used kit on your truck then it looks like you scored a good deal. I for one would never consider installing a used kit on my truck. I would not put my kids or other people's lives at risk, there are too many unknown variables. I would have questions like, Why was it removed from the last truck? Was the vehicle involved in an accident? How old is the kit? How many miles on it? How was it treated (on road use only or a lot of offroad)? Corrosion issues? (especially in states that use salt). Plain and simple, if I can't not afford a new kit, then I can't afford to lift my truck. Suspension, like brakes, are not something to cheap out on. But, to each his own, if you are comfortable with it then go for it and good luck.

Thanks Pikey. I will be asking all those questions. Now in the flip note, is it hard to install a spindle lift?