GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Idle Control

Jr. Apprentice

Question Idle Control

I am on a quest to help the groundskeeper at my school (UC Riverside) fix his 1988 Chevy C1500 5.7 liter V8 w/ a manual transmission.

Truck starts up fine. During the first ten minutes when you step on the accelerator, the idle surges as expected, but then it takes a while for it to settle back down before you can hear a normal idle speed. What should I be looking at? I jumped the computer with a paper clip and no codes flashed. The shift light for the transmission lit up, but according to the owner, he has had no transmission issues.

Any help or direction is much appreciated.
    Brady James
    1989 GMC Sierra c2500

Brady, do you know if that engine has a carb, or uses throttle body injection?

Either way, the throttle linkage may need some lub.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Jr. Apprentice

Hi Ray. It has a throttle body injection. Is there a specific lube I should use or will some WD40 do the trick?

Brady, do you know if it uses mechanical linkages between the gas pedal and the tbi (I think it does).

I'm guessing the linkage is just slow to return to idle, it could be a little rust, it might be a weak spring. I think WD40 will work for ya. I don't like to have the engine running when I'm spraying WD40, just incase it gets sucked into the engine. Spray the linkage with the engine off. Also, look at the gas pedal hinge, it might be rusty as well.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks Ray. I will give it a try and post back soon.