GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default From Ford to Chev.....

Just thought I'd introduce myselfe, I am from Minnesota and just picked up a new (to me) Silverado. I got 150,000 trouble free miles out of my 2001 F150 supercrew lariat, GREAT truck BTW. However the miles were getting me a bit nervous, I still owed a fair amount of money on it so I decided to see what I could get for a trade and see what I could find to replace it. I was unable to find a lower mileage replacement for it in the same body style, and I don't really care for the new F150's (unless they are completely loaded lariats, and I did'nt want that payment.).
    Since I am not a brand loyalist, I went over to the dark side and started looking at the Chevy's. I have always liked the extended cab silverado's, they have way more cab room than the extended cab F150's so I didn't need the crew cab like I did in the Ford (although if it would have fit in my garage I would have gotten the crew cab silverado) I found a perfect '03 silverado Extended cab, with 45,000mile on it, two toned Charcoal and silver Z71 LS. This thing is in mint condition!! My uncle is the manager of a local Chev dealership (always loved driving my Ford to family events as ALL my family on that side drives Chevy's). He gave me as fair a price as he could on my trade and I got a screamin deal on the silverado.

I must say, it is nice to be away from the 5.5' box and the fact that the supercrew box was not square on the Ford (it narrows at the back)and no stake pockets. Now I can get some of the accessories that were not available on the ford, namely a nice removable ladder rack. I miss the Ride height of my Ford, it sure sat up nice and tall, and it rode more like a truck. The silverado is a little low for my liking and the suspension is a bit mushy, especially for a Z71 ?!? but it sure rides nice. The interior is more car like (a good thing) in the silverado with more creature comforts, however I miss the nice soft leather of my Ford. I must say that the cloth interior of the Chev is higher quality than the Ford.

All in all I feel I made a great purchase and I expect this truck to last me a good long time. Some improvements I will be looking to do in the future will be a lift kit and tires/wheels, a nice mellow cat back, front window tint. I look forward to learning as much as I can about these trucks.

good to see u made the switch...i had an 99' f150 4X4 with a 3" body lift before i got my nbs 07 gmc sierra...there is no comparison...i love my Z71... super smooth ride and more power under the hood... dont get me wrong my f150 was a nice truck and i wouldn't stray from getting another maybe down the line

Jmonte3
    07 Sierra NBS Black Crew Cab 5.3L Z71
    15% tint
    Gmc pin stripes
    Blacked out GMC Logos
    Dual Flowmaster exhaust
    Kicker Stereo System w/ Pioneer Avic-D3 Navi/Dvd
    Volant CIA
    Edge Evolution
    Poweraid TBS
    Leveling Kit
    Changed Door Handles to match shiney black paint

Welcome to the forum and welcome to GM! I owned a Ford before I bought my truck in March of this year. I have been extremely pleased with it! Post some pics of your truck when you get a chance!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Welcome to the site
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Theres alot of helpful people on here to answer any questions you may have
    My truck - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L V6

My toy - 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R "673 cc's of fun!"

I gotta say I'm a die hard Chevy man and i'm glad you discovered a real mans truck
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Welcome! My last truck was a '02 Super Crew which I put about 150,000 miles on. There were a lot of things I liked about the 'screw, but I have 108,000 miles and wouldn't go back!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

What motor does the new truck have in it? My boss had an F350 with the 5.4 in it and it was an absolute dog.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

congrats on the change and welcome to the club!
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here