GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Sr. Apprentice Gramps43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tillamook, OR
    Posts
    64

    Default

    I wouldn't worry about fuel pumps, a good electric pump and a pressure regulator for carb'd engines aren't that expensive and would probably perform better in the long run. As far as I can tell 3.4's were EFI but as you are only going to use the short block that should matter. Go forth and play happy. 8~{))
    Gramps

    20 yrs. USAF

  2. #12

    Default

    Could I not just installed the intake and carb from the 2.8 and make a fuel pump work with it?
    I planned on buying the 3.4 crate long block, swapping everything over and putting it in..

  3. #13
    Sr. Apprentice Gramps43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tillamook, OR
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Well yeah I reckon you could but you would also have to transfer the ignition system over as well because the 3.4 is computer controlled. You might be better of to just swap in the whole 3.4 with ECM and harness, then get a stock 3.4 fuel pump. Hook up the power, do the plumbing let her rip. Or you could locate a donor vehicle with a good running 4.3 "w" code in it that has been rear ended or totaled without involving the engine and swap it over lock, stock and barrel. Then you'll have plenty of go power.

  4. #14

    Default

    I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but what would I need the computer for? If the engine was designed to be a replacement engine for the 2.8 why couldn't I just mount everything up from the 2.8 and go?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I have short time frame to swap the engine. The 2.8 is starting to smoke and I'm wanting more power, not a lot more but just a little more then the 2.8 has.

    Its also v-belt setup.. Is this going to effect anything if its even possible with what I'm trying to do without a computer?

  5. #15
    Sr. Apprentice Gramps43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tillamook, OR
    Posts
    64

    Default

    There's nothing stopping you, my grey cells were just spasing out. As long as you get the fuel and ignition systems from the 2.8 I think it should work. At the outside you might have to get an after market distributor but like I said that's at the far outside. I just happened to think you will have to do a little work on the carb jets so it can properly feed the larger displacement. You don't want your new engine to run lean and burn a piston.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscolehawk View Post
    Could I not just installed the intake and carb from the 2.8 and make a fuel pump work with it? I planned on buying the 3.4 crate long block, swapping everything over and putting it in..
    i agree. You will still need an aftermarket electric fuel pump as the 3.4 does not have an engine mounted pump. No biggie there as they are fairly inexpensive. You will need a bigger carb. Holley makes a great 300-350 cfm 2 barrel that would work great. If you want to get more oomph and better mileage, install an adapter plate And run their 350cfm 4 barrel. With a tuned 4 barrel, you would also get better mpg. 8) tell me that is not a plus!
    Chuckie!!!


  7. #17

    Default

    There is a good chance you will not be able to use the distributor either. The block may not have a hole and the cam will not have a gear to drive the dist shaft.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    There is a good chance you will not be able to use the distributor either. The block may not have a hole and the cam will not have a gear to drive the dist shaft.
    thats an excellent point.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurbanMan View Post
    i agree. You will still need an aftermarket electric fuel pump as the 3.4 does not have an engine mounted pump. No biggie there as they are fairly inexpensive. You will need a bigger carb. Holley makes a great 300-350 cfm 2 barrel that would work great. If you want to get more oomph and better mileage, install an adapter plate And run their 350cfm 4 barrel. With a tuned 4 barrel, you would also get better mpg. 8) tell me that is not a plus!
    Great bit a help here!! Thanks a bunch.
    Now I'm crying about this damn distributor. I'm calling about buying the engine soon and I'll check with them to see if it will work for me.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscolehawk View Post
    Great bit a help here!! Thanks a bunch. Now I'm crying about this damn distributor. I'm calling about buying the engine soon and I'll check with them to see if it will work for me.
    see if he has the wire harness and computer too. It wouldn't take much longer to tuck the wiring and mount the computer behind the glove box or under the pass seat

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •