GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question What is plasti dip? Silverado Grille and Bowtie

I've been seeing alot of mention on this site about Plasti dip. what is it and would it be good for my stock grille on my suburban? I would like to change the plastic chrome look to white.where do you get this stuff or do you have someplace that does it for you? Last but not least whats the cost to use this product? thanx.....
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 04-24-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Here you go http://www.homedepot.com/s/plasti+dip+black?NCNI-5 I would not, do it!
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

3. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

It is a spray on "plastic" coating. More like rubber in my opinion. There are places around my home that apply it. They charge around $150 to do rims and $500 for the entire vehicle. One local place sprayed a lambo neon green. It costs $6.99-$8.99 a can. I have never applied it to a vehicle and I don't know anyone personally that has done it. I have used the dip can on wooden handles of tools. It held up very well considering what the tools were used for.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

I was hoping it was more of a hard plastic look,so now i'm not sure if that would be good for the grille.would white enamal with a clear coat stick to the plastic chrome on a grille or have you heard of anything better?

I have never tried to paint the fake chrome. I have however seen the fake chrome peel off of grills. I would be concerned about applying any type of paint or coating to it just because if the chrome starts peeling then your paint job is destroyed. Maybe someone else here has tried it and can let you know

well I went ahead and tried the plasti dip on the grill, (figure I can always peel it off if I don't like it.) and I think it came out pretty nice.Also did the bow tie while I was in there,now if it holds up I'll give this stuff the thumbs up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000100.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	58665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000098.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	58666

- - - Updated - - -

By the way it took two cans of white and one can of glossifier to do three coats each.bow tie was done with testors model paint enamel #1209 Arctic Blue Metallic. total cost $32.00 and two hours of my time. enjoyed every minute of it! Also great plasti dip videos on Youtube by dipyourcar.com

9. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

11. Thanks craigman45 thanked for this post
    Likes craigman45 liked this post

I did my bowtie months ago and it's held up great so far. multiple coats help a lot and make removal sooo much easier

13. Thanks craigman45 thanked for this post

I painted the grill and bowtie with it. It survived the salt this winter just fine. Its been done for about 6 months with no issues so far.

15. Thanks craigman45 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by craigman45 View Post
    well I went ahead and tried the plasti dip on the grill, (figure I can always peel it off if I don't like it.) and I think it came out pretty nice.Also did the bow tie while I was in there,now if it holds up I'll give this stuff the thumbs up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000100.jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	58665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000098.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	58666

- - - Updated - - -

By the way it took two cans of white and one can of glossifier to do three coats each.bow tie was done with testors model paint enamel #1209 Arctic Blue Metallic. total cost $32.00 and two hours of my time. enjoyed every minute of it! Also great plasti dip videos on Youtube by dipyourcar.com
    Actually looks really good. Nice job.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

17. Thanks craigman45 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by