GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kirk @kbonanny you are an inspiration to all of us, thank you.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

2. Thanks kbonanny thanked for this post
    Likes kbonanny liked this post
    Jr. Apprentice

Thanks...LOL
    ​Everything in life sucks, except the things that should!

Ugh. I'm trying to get the toilet apart and its one of these johns that's in its own little room so there is very little room to work. Plus I'm not a small guy either.

Anyhow, started taking the tank apart and one side came off easily, but the second is rusted on the nut and the top thread on the slotted tank bolt rusted as well and partially broke off.

So after about 90 minutes working on it I figure I have to drill it out. Drills not charged, have to wait till tomorrow I guess.

For the shower for now I just put in a 1/2" ball valve on the shower head. I figure that we have a mini remodel planned for the summer and I'll tack this onto that list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    @Steve, if the water is dripping from the shower head, the value (the part behind the handle that turns the water on/off and mixes the temp) is leaking. It is called a cartridge.

From your pic, I'm not sure how the cartridge is held inside the valve body. Can you provide a manufactures name?

As a couple of people have said, the water needs to be turned off (hot and cold at shower, or whole house). There should be a cap that screws on over the cartridge to hold it in place. Remove the cap and gently tug the cartridge out of the body.

Take the cartridge with you to be sure you get the correct one (as someone said, some of them have life-time warranties and may be free). When you get the cartridge out, you will see a round black rubber (plastic) disk inside the valve body, you will need one of these as well, and the spring that is behind it (the spring and the disk push up against the cartridge when it is in the off position to stop the water flow). When you get the cartridge, ask for the valve seal also (you might have to buy a package with a number of different seals and select the correct parts when you get home).

My suggestion, is that you do not remove the rubber disk before you go to the store. Buy the parts, and remove the disk when you have the new parts and put the new pieces in while the "how they came out" is fresh in your mind.

It's an easy fix.

Btw, sometimes the cartridge will go in 180 degrees wrong. if the water does not shut off in the off position, just remove the cartridge and flip it 180.

EDIT:

I just thought of something else, because that is a one handle faucet, there will be 2 of the black rubber disks, one for hot and one for cold.
    OK, what? I took the Chrome case off but didn't see anything that looked like it was a nut.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. .. The toilet is fixed. Had to drill out the bolt enough that I could get a screwdriver into the hole and keep it still.

That sucked. If I had it to do again I would have just b bought a new unit.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend
    Blog Entries

$200 bucks at Lowes...but not having to put put up with a crappy crapper.....priceless
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

It's all fixed now, and it works great. Just was the lack of space and one single frozen nut that caused this to go from an easy project to a big pain.

- - - Updated - - -

It's all fixed now, and it works great. Just was the lack of space and one single frozen nut that caused this to go from an easy project to a big pain.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I had one that used a metal ring under the pipe flange to secure the pipe to the floor and the toilet to the pipe. I noticed the toilet was loose so when I remodeled I expected trouble. The John delivered. Ring was rusted out and I had a hard time finding a replacement - specifically because it had to be two piece to get under the pipe flare where the old one was one piece.

Nothing like home ownership. Houses are great places to store all the stuff you need to take care of the house......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12