GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Someone please give your opinion on our truck!!! pretty please!!

    My husbands 2005 GMC, 5.3 ls motor. He pulled it out to replace the mains, bearing, crank, and caps. He put it all together right and the motor turns fine. This is the second time this has happened. He sets the motor in the truck and starts putting it back together then when he trys to turn it to put the torque converter bolts in, the motor won't move an inch. Tried with a bar on the crank bolt thingy and it won't move. The tries with the pully, the pully will move but i was under it when he was doing this and nothing was moving. He is so mad cause he can't figure out what he had done wrong. IT doesn't make much since that before it gets set in the truck it turns then once in place, it won't. Any ideas????
    Thanks so much in advance!!

  2. #2
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welcht81 View Post
    My husbands 2005 GMC, 5.3 ls motor. He pulled it out to replace the mains, bearing, crank, and caps. He put it all together right and the motor turns fine. This is the second time this has happened. He sets the motor in the truck and starts putting it back together then when he trys to turn it to put the torque converter bolts in, the motor won't move an inch. Tried with a bar on the crank bolt thingy and it won't move. The tries with the pully, the pully will move but i was under it when he was doing this and nothing was moving. He is so mad cause he can't figure out what he had done wrong. IT doesn't make much since that before it gets set in the truck it turns then once in place, it won't. Any ideas????
    Thanks so much in advance!!
    if this guy can do that work It is hard to believe he is stumped on this one.

    my guess is the tranny is hitting the flywheel. set the engine fwd slightly also remove the spark plugs. it should turn easy. the work he did do is normally not a plug and play deal. things must be measured and fit with not much tol..

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks, I know he is really mad and just walked away. Spark plugs are removed. I was thinking something is hitting it cause it doesn't make much sense. I was surprised he was stumped too. He is getting impatient with the whole process.

  4. #4

    Default

    Something is binding for sure. Transmission not seated correctly?
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

    Check out my image gallery HERE.



    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

  5. #5

    Default

    idk. I am gonna go check that and see if i can see anything hitting it maybe. brb

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by welcht81 View Post
    idk. I am gonna go check that and see if i can see anything hitting it maybe. brb
    Checked the tranny. It right. We pulled it back out and it turns easy. He is still stumped cause there is nothing for it to get hung on he keeps saying. he hooked the start up to it and its not kicking out now. idk. any more ideas?

  6. #6

    Default

    I would check to see if the converter is "all the way in". On older transmissions, the converter can disengage and protrude slightly causing a bind on the flex plate. That's my guess if it's an Auto trans

  7. #7
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welcht81 View Post
    Thanks, I know he is really mad and just walked away. Spark plugs are removed. I was thinking something is hitting it cause it doesn't make much sense. I was surprised he was stumped too. He is getting impatient with the whole process.
    my guess is he put in the wrong crankshaft

  8. #8

    Default

    Is the fly wheel hitting the block? Or the bolt head for the torque converter hitting anywhere?
    2009 Silvia~Superlift 6"~DropStars~Nitto Trail Graps~FSOR Catback~Madtunes Racing~4.10 gears~cleared headlights~hi-6

    NNBS SILVERADO BUILD

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmanh5 View Post
    Or the bolt head for the torque converter hitting anywhere?
    My guess as well, wrong bolt(s), too long, or wrong head, I'm guessing too long.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsmntcritr View Post
    I would check to see if the converter is "all the way in". On older transmissions, the converter can disengage and protrude slightly causing a bind on the flex plate. That's my guess if it's an Auto trans
    I vote for this answer. I've seen this where the torque converter is not fully seated on the front pump and protrudes enough to bind the crank. The converter must be rotated until the slots align with the front pump and it will move inward until fully seated..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •