GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rebuild kits 4l80e 4x4

Don't go out and buy the 2 wheel drive tranny thinking it is a easy crossover. No NO
    the attached is the 2 wheel 1996 4l80E I will show the correct one , with more time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0585[1].jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Chesters View Post
    Don't go out and buy the 2 wheel drive tranny thinking it is a easy crossover. No NO
    the attached is the 2 wheel 1996 4l80E I will show the correct one , with more time
    Looks like you didn't research that there's 2 different cases, the normal case for 2WD models and the K case for 4wd. The cases themselves are identical if I remember correctly, but the output shaft on the 2WD model is a few inches longer and to swap the output shaft you have to tear the whole transmission apart as it's the last thing to come out of the case and the first to go back in.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Default 4l80e 4x4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0586[1].jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	58463
    CORRECT 4L80E 4X4 TAILSHAFT

You are correct I did not due my homework. I was happy to find a 96 80E that I screwed up.
    Bad winter and alot of trannies took it on the chin here in the midwest.
    This is the correct output shaft for your torque converter. Yep right near 3" differance. Now I
    suppose I could put a 4" extension on the back of the wrong one!!!!! No, I now have 2 to rebuild
    original is on the stand. Looking for suggestions on the kit??
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 04-01-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Okay reverse went out during the snowstorm. should I buy the entire kit should I buy reverse servo maybe solenoids pump rebuild what should I do? Thanks in advance for any information.

If you're going to break it down, you might as well do the whole rebuild kit and whatever upgrade parts are available. I'm not sure what all was upgraded by GM or the aftermarket as time went on, but one example may be the sun shell. That was a weak point on the 4L60E transmission. In terms of what brand and who to get it from, I don't know. Thankfully I've never needed to rebuild a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    If you're going to break it down, you might as well do the whole rebuild kit and whatever upgrade parts are available. I'm not sure what all was upgraded by GM or the aftermarket as time went on, but one example may be the sun shell. That was a weak point on the 4L60E transmission. In terms of what brand and who to get it from, I don't know. Thankfully I've never needed to rebuild a transmission.
    Yes Crawdaddy, I agree with you should probably have all the updates. But first tranny since a standard three speed on a tree in a 62 Ford falcon. Hell I paid 50 bucks for the car. Put $20 kit into it and a 19.95 Earl Scheib special paint job special ment I got to pick from ten colors I believe instead of five. Beat the hell out of it put a clutch and sold it for hundred bucks.

I don't think the sun gear is the bad part of 4L80E it may be if someone knows that please let me know if I could put back together thank you.

I do like the truck but it does have 308,000 miles on it. And I think I need to refresh the bottom and I think the bearings are getting a little sloppy.

Thanks for the come back see you

Default 60-80E swap out

Yes Crawdaddy, I agree with you should probably have all the updates. But first tranny since a standard three speed on a tree in a 62 Ford falcon. Hell I paid 50 bucks for the car. Put $20 kit into it and a 19.95 Earl Scheib special paint job special ment I got to pick from ten colors I believe instead of five. Beat the hell out of it put a clutch and sold it for hundred bucks.

I don't think the sun gear is the bad part of 4L80E it may be if someone knows that please let me know if I could put back together thank you.

I do like the truck but it does have 308,000 miles on it. And I think I need to refresh the bottom and I think the bearings are getting a little sloppy.

Thanks for the come back see you
    Ok I have a guy that wants to put in the 80E that I bought he has a 96 C1500 with a 60e that's shot .

What has to be done to swap a 60 for a 80 same year 96 ? Thanks for any replys

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I have a guy that wants to put in the 80E that I bought he has a 96 C1500 with a 60e that's shot .

What has to be done to swap a 60 for a 80 same year 96 ? Thanks for any replys
    By the way bought a 96 K1500 last week two 4w Chevy driving crazy man. Oh almost time to get the superglide out for the summer soon. Warmer next week !! Yee Haa!!

I split your posts into a new thread since it had gotten too-far off-track for the original thread.

9. Thanks Chesters thanked for this post