GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 8 inch wheels ok on long haul?

I have a utility trailer with 8 inch wheels. I tow a quad around to the local ride spot (15 miles or so). I want to go to the sand dunes that are 475 miles away.will those wheels heat up too much on a long haul or will I be ok? Trailer is one of those harbor freight jobbies rated at 1150 LBS. wish I had a different trailer, but can I make due with what I have?

Probably would be ok if they are in good condition.. I would probably take a spare along with you and make sure the bearings are in good condition and greased if they're greasable or have bearing buddies.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I would check the tires for their speed rating and keep it pretty well in range of what they say. Should be fine.

Airaid. Borla. Blackbear. RCX.

The Squatcherado!

Don't quote me, but I remember reading somewhere that those 8 inch tires aren't highway-rated. Definitely have a spare.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Absolutely not. If you take the trip, bring at least six spares. One time on I-95 in Palm Beach County, a trailer with those little wheels hit a rise in the road, it went just a few inches into the air and when it hit the road, both tires blew out. I think there was a ski-doo on the trailer.

It is called a "utility" trailer for a reason, for light loads around town. So now look at what you are putting on the trailer. If you lose one tire a good chance that the trailer can flip on its side as it wags down the highway and that is if you can feel it. Does the cost of the load cost more than a larger trailer with at least 12" wheels?

Look at the tire side walls for its load rating and max speed if listed. They need to read DOT followed by numbers. Just remember as you are doing 60 with your truck/car 18" wheels, those 8" ones are spinning more than 2 times faster. Here is a utility trailer that is DOT approved and 12" wheels but you still need to take it easy. Your looking at a 6-7 hour ride.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html
    Two things are certain in life, you can cheat death and taxes, however, gravity and locomotives will always win!

6. Thanks craigman45 thanked for this post

thank you I'm gonna try renting one ,maybe u haul