GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Smile Where can I get Instrument Panel bulbs?

There were a few things that I couldn't see very well on my Instrument Panel at night so I took it apart. There are two different kinds of bulbs. One is a 194 (as I recall). In any case, they are in a plastic housing and they twist into the back of the Instrument Panel. On the plastic housing it says to replace the entire housing with the bulb. Where can I get these?

Also, there are a couple of bulbs out in the HVAC and Radio controls. I have taken the HVAC control out and it has very small bulbs. How do I remove them? I'm afraid to pull on them too hard so if someone knows how to get them out, please let me know.

I just picked this truck up and am having a great time fixing up all the little things that it needs. So far I've done a complete tune up, oil change, trans flush, replaced the radiator hoses and belt and a few other things. It runs fantastic and is a really great truck. I wish they made the newer ones as big and bad as this one! It has 255,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave the Pawnbroker
    2011 Tahoe 4x4 LTZ, CCM 2.5"/1", Black Bear EFILive

Legend

i believe you have to get them from the dealership, and as far as getting them out I cant help ya on that one.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Thanks. Does anyone know of an Dealer that sells online at a discount? Any other sources?

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site Dave!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Thanks dwill!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker View Post
    Thanks. Does anyone know of an Dealer that sells online at a discount? Any other sources?

Thanks again.

for starters www.gmpartsclub.com

also the small bulbs in the radio and hvac are soldered in ..I remember someone a couple months ago replacing them with radio shack versions . there just leds with rubber cover on them .
    Last edited by GMPartsClub; 09-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn

Follow up. I found the bulbs at my local Napa. The dealer wanted about $15 each! He told me to check the local auto parts stores. The guys at Napa told me that they sell them all the time. The Napa price was less than $2 each. They are 194 and 74 bulbs. Since they are in a plastic base that twists into the instrument panel, they are PC194 and PC74. There was also one PC161 in my panel. So I was able to replace all of them while the panel was out. A pretty easy job all together. Made a big difference. All my gauges, warning lights etc. light up like a brand new truck.

Now to figure out how to replace the bulbs in the HVAC and Radio controls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker View Post
    Follow up. I found the bulbs at my local Napa. The dealer wanted about $15 each! He told me to check the local auto parts stores. The guys at Napa told me that they sell them all the time. The Napa price was less than $2 each. They are 194 and 74 bulbs. Since they are in a plastic base that twists into the instrument panel, they are PC194 and PC74. There was also one PC161 in my panel. So I was able to replace all of them while the panel was out. A pretty easy job all together. Made a big difference. All my gauges, warning lights etc. light up like a brand new truck.

Now to figure out how to replace the bulbs in the HVAC and Radio controls.
    I knew this was out there somewhere

Once you pull out the HVAC control module, pull out on the two knobs used for setting the temp - they are on pretty good, but keep pulling straight out and they will come. Then there are qty 4 3/16" screws that will need to come out (I used a nut driver) that holds the case together.

Once you open it up, you will see two green boards connected via a wiring harness, you do not need to disconnect the harness. All of the bulbs are covered with a blue/green cover - pull the cover off of the bulb you want to replace. Be careful though, you will need to reuse it.

Once the cover is off, heat up the solder joints used to hold the bulb to the board while gently pulling the bulb out. Reverse the process to install the new bulb. I used RadioShack part number 272-1154 as the replacement bulb and it matches the existing bulbs pretty dam close, if not dead on.

Go out to the truck and plug the harness back in and make sure everything works. Once it does, put the bulb cover back on, screw it together and rock and roll!

Here are the specs on the bulb I used as a replacement:
    Voltage: 12volt
    Current: 50mA
    Light Output: 0.12MSCP
    Bulb Type: T-1

I didnt write this this was pasted from another great site but the info is the same
    04 Tahoe LT 5.3L stock MSD 8.5mm Wires
    Gigbson Duels Straight Exhaust, Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
    K&N 77 Series CAI, Sirius Radio
    De-badged, Valet Dei remote start
    5000k HID -Higherlevelauto.com
    Federal 100watt air horn