GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Kenwood install in 08 Silverado

I got my Kenwood DNX5120 in-dash nav system installed in my 08 Silverado. I don't have the Bose system in it. I got a Scosche GM21SR wiring harness adapter off of E-Bay for $37 and it was a fairly easy install. All the wires matched up color for color to the Kenwood harness. I removed the stock stereo and plugged in the Kenwood with the GM21SR attached and everything seems to work just fine. I talked to OnStar to make sure that still worked and all the warning chimes seem to be operating. Only thing I don't have now is the steering wheel controls, but that's minor since I haven't had those in most of my previous cars anyway. And my XM, but I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius... so rather have that hooked up anyway.

So, just thought I'd share that it's not anything to really be afraid of doing, even if you want to keep your OnStar. There was even plenty of room inside the dash for the "box" that the interface has.

Chris

hey wolf. im thinking about installing the Excelon DNX8120 in my 08. i am concerned about how the unit and the colors will look on the dash. if they'll blend in or not. the chrome trim all over the dash is really classy. so i dont want to kill the look. do you have a pic of your install?

Just to let you know XM and Sirius are one in the same company now.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chryler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

how did u run the wire for the gps?
    im going to do an indash kenwood one of these days
    08 5.3 silverado...toyo m.t 33 12.50 18 rockstars...leveled with 2" blocks...cherrybomb catback...6k hids

I'll try to get some picts up soon. On the DNX5120, you can change the illumination color but I left mine as blue since it is one of the easier colors to read on screen. The install does look fairly factory tho... the dashkit I got from Circuit City (Metra brand) is very close in texture and color to my stock dash.

For the GPS wire, I couldn't find any metal braces under the dash to attach it to (like when I had the system in my Mustang). So, I used some 3M double sided emblem tape that I had and attached the antenna to a convenient flat spot behind where the radio mounts and it seems to work fine.

As far as Sirius and XM, they merged back in July I think. However, I haven't seen anything yet where they have done anything as far as changing the channel lineups of the two "companies." If they ever do tho, then I will still have my lifetime subscription.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    I'll try to get some picts up soon. On the DNX5120, you can change the illumination color but I left mine as blue since it is one of the easier colors to read on screen. The install does look fairly factory tho... the dashkit I got from Circuit City (Metra brand) is very close in texture and color to my stock dash.

For the GPS wire, I couldn't find any metal braces under the dash to attach it to (like when I had the system in my Mustang). So, I used some 3M double sided emblem tape that I had and attached the antenna to a convenient flat spot behind where the radio mounts and it seems to work fine.

As far as Sirius and XM, they merged back in July I think. However, I haven't seen anything yet where they have done anything as far as changing the channel lineups of the two "companies." If they ever do tho, then I will still have my lifetime subscription.

Chris

Do you have any pictures?
    South Texas, That's where I from.

just to let you know, you can get the steering wheel control interface to make your steering wheel controls work. they sell them at bestbuy for like $100 and they charge about $60 to install them. there pretty easy to wire up, however, programing them is a BI@#%$@!!! a little expensive, but just wanted to let y ou know that that option was out there.

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado