GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Mobil 1 Truck and SUV?

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and bought some Mobil 1 5W30. I bought a 5 qt. jug and another single quart. When I got home, I realized the 5 qt. jug says "Truck & SUV" across the bottom, and my single quart doesn't. Is this some variation of 5W30 or do they just put that on there for marketing purposes? I want to make sure I'm not putting different oil in there. Should I go back and swap it out for a jug that doesn't say Truck & SUV, or am I alright here?
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Cool

There is a difference in the two oils, here are the spec from Mobil One web site.....

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30

Newly formulated fully synthetic Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 is engineered for hard-working gasoline engines. It contains extra anti-oxidant, which can provide greater protection against deposit formation in hard-working gasoline trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles. The new energy-conserving formulation meets the latest industry standards for gasoline engines.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV's key benefits include:

Extra performance additive helps provide exceptional performance under all operating conditions, and additional protection for engines that operate under heavy load or stress, including towing, hauling and other severe service.

Unique fully synthetic formula helps reduce the formation of harmful engine deposits and sludge to keep engines cleaner longer.

Outstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual.

Approved for use and exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline, turbocharged and diesel engines in the following applications:

ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5-04

GM 6094M

Ford WSS-M2C929-A

MS-6395

Note: This product is not recommended for diesel engines. Use new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 for diesel engines.

Here are the spec for the that is not made for Trucks and/or Suv......

Mobil 1 5W-30

The Mobil 1 5W-30 grade delivers the viscosity recommended for most General Motors vehicles and many imports. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the first choice of premium car manufacturers, including Corvette. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets:

GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
    Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    Honda HTO-06
    ACEA A1/B1
    ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)

Mobil 1 5W-30 is an ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that provides excellent all season protection. This product also meets the requirements for diesel-powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is general purpose engine oil for all types of vehicles where a 5W-30 viscosity is recommended.

Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

As are all Mobil 1 products, it is designed to provide outstanding wear protection, maintain excellent engine cleanliness, and the performance reserve to keep engines in newer cars running smooth and clean.

Thanks for the info! I think that's weird, but I guess I'll go back and try to find a single quart of the truck & SUV stuff. Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Good info!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

why are you using 5w?? (being in east texas)
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Good info my tech told me the same exact thing about full synthetic for my 5.3
    2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Victory red
    (5.3L fuel managment, 3.73 gears with locking diff.)
    2008 Yamha Rhino 450

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    why are you using 5w?? (being in east texas)

That's what it takes. I follow what the manual (and even the oil cap) tells me.

Legend

Blog Entries

Great information, Ftwken.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

mine says the same too but the 5w is more for colder temps. it dosent get cold enough down here so i use 10w

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    mine says the same too but the 5w is more for colder temps. it dosent get cold enough down here so i use 10w
    What you say is true but GM say use 5w oil for the best performance.. I have a friend who has a 2006 dodge ram and his check engine light came on. After performing a diagnostic test on it,we found out that the last place that did an oil change on it use the wrong grade of oil and the vehicle detected it.. I dont remember the code that showed up but once we change the oil to what dodge says it should be the engine light never came back on..also if you have a ford taurus that use 5w20 and if you put in 10w30 or 5w30 you will lose about 3-5 miles per gallon
    Last edited by ftwken; 10-08-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled word