GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for eBayers

Ok, I need some tips for bidding on eBay. I recently came across an awesome offer on a Hypertech programmer. The bid was at $162.50. I waited until the last few seconds and posted a bid of $180. Once the screen refreshed, it said I was no longer the highest bidder, and the bid was $182.50 (the smallest increment you could increase the bid). This happened just in the time it took for the page to load. By then, it said there was only 4 seconds and I didn't have time to try another bid. There is no way someone could have refreshed the page, seen my bid, submitted the higher bid, then confirmed that bid in time before the auction ended!

I did some research and found there are third party programs you can buy that "snipe" eBay auctions. They automatically put in a higher bid, up to your previously set maximum, at the very last seconds of the auction.

I found some other possible explanations that said when you place your bid, you're supposed to bid your maximum amount. Doing this will put your bid as the current minimum and automatically raise your bid as other offers come, up to your maximum bid you put in first. Example: Item is at $100 with the bids increasing at a minimum of $5, I submit a bid of $200, it posts my bid as $105 and increases accordingly as other higher bids are placed, up to my set $200. Is that how it works??

I have been burned at the very last second on several auctions now, where the only explanation is some sort of automatic bidding. I sent a complaint to eBay customer service because I thought they were using one of those "sniper" programs. I guess if the second thing I found is true, it was a "legal" transaction. If that is how eBay is set up, it sure doesn't seem fair. Someone shouldn't be able to automatically increase their bid without manually submitting it. That isn't how an auction works.

Anybody that actually took the time to read all of my ranting have any advice or opinions? Losing that item has really pissed me off, so I'm on a search for answers!!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Legend

Blog Entries

Here is how it works, as an example:

Seller adds an item on eBay, with a starting price of $5.00

You go on and see the item. You like it and bid $6.00

It will show you are the current winning bidder at $5.00

Someone else comes around and sees it and bids $20.00

The bid will show the price of $6.00 because your maximum price is $5.00. So the bid went up to your maximum and went up by a dollar because bid increments are $1.00

If you come back to eBay and see that the maximum bid is $6.00, you go on and bid $10.00

eBay will say you are outbid and have the price of $11.00 (your highest bid, and then the $1.00 bid increment from the other buyer)

Every time you put a bid in that is under $20.00 will show you've been outbid.

Once you reach $21.00 you'll be the high bidder because the other buyer's high bid from the other buyer was only $20.00

In your instance here is what happened:

You saw a bid of $162.50 as the current high bid. In reality, the current high bidder had put in a bidder that was higher than that.... say $225.00.

When you then went on and tried to be sneaky by placing a last minute bid of $180.00 eBay automatically bumped the bid up to your highest bid plus the bid increment.

Aka, the other buyer had a higher bid amount than you did.

Hope that helps!
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    I guess if the second thing I found is true, it was a "legal" transaction. If that is how eBay is set up, it sure doesn't seem fair. Someone shouldn't be able to automatically increase their bid without manually submitting it. That isn't how an auction works.

Well, actually it does act like a real auction. At a real auction you see an item and bid until you reach the maximum price you are willing to pay for something.

eBay is set up for you to be able to go in and say "I'd go ahead and buy that, as long as it stays under a certain amount of money" .... the same thing as a real life auction.

If someone is willing to pay more, then you lose. If you are willing to pay $30 and someone else is only willing to pay $20, then it benefits you because instead of buying the item for $30, you'll buy it for $21.00.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

i agree with you it dosent seem fair
    i too have lost many auctions that way

i need on of thoes programs.....maybe i can find one on ebay..

and whoever got a programer for 180 is a lucky man
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Ok, now I think I'm clear on how things work. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, that guy was seriously lucky. It was a brand new Max Energy! I was hoping it would be mine, but maybe another opportunity will come along.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Suspension Leveling Kit

Wow...i had no clue you could get a program that basicly bids for you.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenterGuy View Post
    Wow...i had no clue you could get a program that basicly bids for you.
    Yeah, I didn't either. Do a Google search for "ebay auto bid", and you'll get quite a few results. Some say they're free, and others you have to pay for. It doesn't seem like eBay would allow stuff like that, but now that I'm more clear on how the bidding works, it seems like it is mainly a way to organize your bids.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Suspension Leveling Kit

Legend

Blog Entries

I think you're right about the organization.

I do believe most of the programs you find are to help you keep track of what you are bidding on and an easy way to keep update your bidding. You can get the applications for your cell phone so you can see how your bidding is going while away from your computer.

Again, as is stated all over eBay, bid to win. You'll win more items that way. Just enter in your top bid (what you are willing to pay) and if someone bids over you then apparently they are willing to spend more. Move on to the next item.

(Keep an eye on the Buy It Now prices. Those are the ones that I think are the best deals. You can shop and when you find something you like you can bid an actually win the item right away. Great parts/items to be found that way)
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

that sucks you lost the bid matt, but i have heard of things doing that as well. hope you find another one for cheap!!
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

I only bid a price I am willing to pay. I like buying stuff for the lowest price possible. So if I'm outbid.....no big deal. If I win....Hooray! Unless you are bidding on some "rare" item there will always be another auction. I hate it when I win a bid and then I see it cheaper! That really sucks. So I've learned a little patience and when I can't wait for the deal I look for the best "buy it now" offering. Best of luck and happy ebaying!
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast