GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 6.0 VortecMAX low end power

So I have the 6.0 in my '07 Silverado and it has little to NO power from dead stop and its REALLY bad with the AC blowing...has anyone had this problem? If so how did you solve it?...will a programmer help with this at all? I have never been too overly obsessed with gaining all the power out of my trucks but with this big of a motor I figure if its there I may as well harness it!!! ALSO it seems to have a different "vortec powerband" than my old trucks...usually you can feel it kick in around 2500rpm but this truck doesnt seem to really get a full head of steam until 4000-4500rpm...has anyone heard of this either?...Thanks in advance guys!!

**BTW if this is in the wrong spot please move it!**

i dont know what to tell you besides try a programmer. i took one of the 08 vortec maxs for a test drive a couple weeks ago and i wasnt impressed with it at all. id get on it and it would take a couple seconds before it would even kick in.
    Jake
    2006 Silverado 5.3L Flex Fuel
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Quadzilla Stealth 2 Race Tune

Blog Entries

The very first thing my Wife and I noticed about our Suburban w/5.3 was the hesitation. Even backing out of the driveway it seemed to fall flat for a quick sec when first hitting the gas. I soon invested in a K&N FIPK cold air intake and the hesitation was gone! There are other mods such as exhaust and a programmer but this was the one and only mod on the Suburban and it worked.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Ive noticed alot of the newer of the gm vehicles have this hesitation, my acadia same thing, drove a brand new yukon for two days not too long ago with a 5.3 same thing, even an impala with a 5.3, and the biggest one that shocked me was the torrent with the 3.4, i remember our 03 venture with the 3.4 the thing was so sensitive so when i seen the hesitation in the the torrent i was really suprised.

Its too bad about the 6.0 that your feeling the powerband change and what not, one of my customers has a savanna with a 6.0 and that thing pulls and just spins its tires like crazy if you give it to much gas
    --> Rocco "Rumpamuro"

--> Apprentice Mechanic (Cars and Trucks)

--> Mississauga, Ontario (Canada) eh!

--> Vehicles on the driveway:

-2008 GMC Acadia SLE AWD

-2007 Silverado Classic Reg cab, long box.

-2008 Pontiac Vibe (my dads fuel efficient way to go to work)

-1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT

Legend

I had the same hesitation with my 4.8. It is really slow off the start ( I know 4.8 but still with 295hp and over 300tq it shouldn't be a tank). My old f150 Extended cab with the 4.6 and 225 hp 240 tq would demolish my newer truck off the line. I've also fot 3.23 gears which makes for a very slow start. I added a Hypertech Programmer and the hesitation was alot less. It gave me more power through out the rpm range and gave me a nice increase in mileage.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

i got an 06 with the 6.0L and it dont have no hesitaion... u give her the gas and shes gone... so if i was you id likly try a programer

2006 2500HD Silverado 6.0L

Legend

dont get itare you guys saying it was like this from day one or have lost something with time, my dad 07 with the 6.0 max lunges off the line and is gone, my uncle has had two 3/4 tons one with the 8.1 and the second with the 6.0 and prefers the 6.0 has way more useful pwer
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend

vncj96 dont get itare you guys saying it was like this from day one or have lost something with time, my dad 07 with the 6.0 max lunges off the line and is gone, my uncle has had two 3/4 tons one with the 8.1 and the second with the 6.0 and prefers the 6.0 has way more useful pwer
    I've driven alot of trucks and not many of the newer Chevy's and GMC's have impressed me. It does depend on the gears, tranny, and engine but just across the board I'm not a huge fan. My dad's titan has amazing pickup of the line that just doesn't compare to the 6.0 07 I drove. Now once the 6.0 kicks in at higher RPM I was very impressed. This can easly be changed with just a few simple bolt ons so I don't find any of these things a huge problem.

Most of that delay off the line can easily be tuned out with some adjustments to your fuel/timing tables. Just a little something GM has done for quite awhile, probably to discourage aggressive driving and burn outs. They just got carried away with the new GMT-900 trucks. They put in a full 4 second delay where the fuel PE is in a closed loop status at WOT. In other words, it doesn't go like it should. And we aren't even talking about the crazy stuff Torque Mangement does to reduce power on shifts with those new trucks.

If you really want the best performance possible, a custom tune all by itself will get it done. Then you can throw in a cat-back exhaust and intake just to finish off the package. But the tune is going to be the best bang for your buck and make the truck drive like it should.

Do a search for Custom Tune - lots of info out there. Good luck!

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

Look into a superchips programer, I have been told the igniton timing needs to be advanced to cure this and the tuner will alow you to do this,select the mid grade or super opions for the tune.
    and if you get a less restrictive aircleaner and exhaust that will be a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by