GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Headlights dim sometimes

I searched the forums to see if there was a thread on this and I didn't find anything. Does anyone else with a 2007+ Silverado ever notice their headlights dimming? Mine dim slightly (but noticably) every once in a while. This has been happening since I bought the truck but since it is not really significant, I haven't had the dealership investigate anything. If anyone else sees this happening in their truck, I would like to hear about it and if there is a fix for it. Thanks in advance!

2009 Silverado 2500HD
    Duramax Z-71
    Crew Cab
    Line-X spray-in liner
    Re-Trax retractable tonneau cover

No sorry, nothing like that with my truck as far as i have noticed. I'll check my truck the next time i drive. when have you noticed this? whats the specs of your truck?
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chryler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

This doesn't seem to happen under a certain set of circumstances, it just happens.

I am in the Army, so it is very often dark when I drive in to work and when I drive home. The headlights dim at least once almost every time I drive in darkness (and probably in daylight, too... can't see it then though). I don't notice them getting brighter again so that must be a slow process building back up to their usual strength. I have never had anyone flash their hi-beams at me for it but I have noticed it happening with oncoming traffic... I wonder if they ever notice it.

My truck is a 2007 Vortec Max 6.0L 4x4 extended cab. I bought it new back in Jan of '07. The truck now has about 19000 miles on it.

2009 Silverado 2500HD
    Duramax Z-71
    Crew Cab
    Line-X spray-in liner

hmm not sure what to tell you. i have the 07 Lt1 5.3 and haven't noticed it. like i said i'll keep an eye out when i drive in the dark next time and get back to you on that.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chryler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

Legend

Blog Entries

Not an expert here by any means and I guess it all depends on how much the lights are dimming but I do think that is normal. Most likely they dim when an accessory comes on like the A/C or the fan. They draw amp out away from the electrical system and the lights dim. If memory serves me correctly my lights did that on the Jeep before I switched them over to projector headlights. I've not driven the Jeep much since then so I'm not sure if they still do or not.

Usually the lights would dim slightly when the fan would come on for the little bit.

I'm sure you'll get more input on it. Again, no expert here, just my $.02.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

I haven't noticed it on my 08 yet. My buddy with an 07 says his does that as well. Something to with some kind of power saver mode or something I think he said. I haven't reasearched it yet. I have noticed that sometimes my battery level is at like 12.5 to 13 volts and then the next time I look at it, it is back to normal at 14.2 volts. Keep an eye on that next time as well.
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I will watch to see what my charging system is doing the next time I see the dimming happen. Also, I'm glad to know it is not just my truck that does it. Keep the info coming!

2009 Silverado 2500HD
    Duramax Z-71
    Crew Cab
    Line-X spray-in liner

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffer View Post
    I haven't noticed it on my 08 yet. My buddy with an 07 says his does that as well. Something to with some kind of power saver mode or something I think he said. I haven't reasearched it yet. I have noticed that sometimes my battery level is at like 12.5 to 13 volts and then the next time I look at it, it is back to normal at 14.2 volts. Keep an eye on that next time as well.

Agreed X2 Mine does this as well and It is normal
    Its part of the" battery run down protection" as shown on the factory window sticker

see if it happens when you put up the window or something that would draw some power from the truck
    08 5.3 silverado...toyo m.t 33 12.50 18 rockstars...leveled with 2" blocks...cherrybomb catback...6k hids

Mine's not an '07, but I notice my headlights dim a little when I roll the windows up or down. Seems to me that the battery isn't powerful enough. I plan on getting a new one before I try to do any stereo upgrades.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast