GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default whats the difference between these two?

im new to the lift kit ideas, and iv noticed there are 2 kits, a suspension lift kit and a bodt lift kit..whats the difference and which is better?

Good question. I'm also curious about the difference.

The "body lift" is just like it sounds. It is a set of spacers that are fitted between the frame and the body. If you are just wanting to get more clearance for tires or for looks, this isn't bad. It does not alter the suspension or ride. It does raise the center of gravity, somewhat. The suspension lift alters the suspension with a combination of things: springs; drop brackets; lift spindles; etc. This affects the geometry of the steering and is available in several different levels of complexity and height. You can combine the two and make room for larger tires. There are some folks on this site who are better at explaining this, but this might answer your questions. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

thanx for explaining, from the sounds of it, i may go with body lift, because i just want the look..i like the raised look of it and want to throw on some bigger tires somewhere in the lower 30'' range..i dont ever plan on actually going off roading like i said this is for city driving and i like the looks of it...can anyone suggests some good sites to order some body lift items?

a body lift is exactly what it sounds like .. it lifts the body. (cab) ..(cheaper)
    a suspension lifts the frame .. which is better and looks nicer .. (more expensive)

what brand are you looking at getting and how much
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

thinking about the body lift may not be the way for me to go, id like to have side step bars on the truck and for the bars to stay at stock level after lifting the body would look bad..

id say if your willing to spend the money, go with a suspension lift. some lift kits ride even better then stock.

a body lift uses blocks to lift the body off the frame just for looks and better approach and departure angles. a suspension lift actually replaces the suspension on your vehicle using longer and stronger springs, a more arched leaf spring pack, etc. suspension lifts are much more expensive but are well worth it because everything looks right whereas when you have a body lift the frame sticks out underneath and stepbars and bumpers dont match up unless you buy new brackets
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Blog Entries

The body lift is way less expensive than suspension but, like you mentioned before that the bumpers and frame mounted steps do not raise with the body. I personnaly do not like the look of a body lifted truck as the frame is much more visible below the body (only my opinion and YES I have had a body lifted truck in the past). Most body lift kits come with mounting hardware to re-mount the bumpers so the look normal but someone on here posted about re-mounting steps, as well as a brush guard and i'm sure you can fabricate re-mounting hardware but i'm not sure about a kit. Do your homework on various brand such as Cognito, Fabtech, Rough Country, Tuff Country, Rancho, etc.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

thanx guys, i'll stick with the real thing, now can someone suggests a good brand to use? im looking anywhere from 4-6'' lift and looking to spend about $1000-$1500 just for the lift, i also want to step it up on the tires has well..something that looks like these..

if you guys can suggest a good set and size id greatly appreciaite it, if i sound clue less i am, up untill now all ive ever done with trucks was throw on a set of 24-26'' chrome wheels and installed huge audio systems 4 15's sometimes 4 18's amps miles of wires..lol..so im moving over to a different world far has exteror looks..got sick of the lowering and huge rims that i can only driver 10 mph because of pot holes..lol

Well, you can get a Rough Country 6" lift for $1000 that also levels the truck (lifts the back 4-5" and raises the front 6" to level it out). I would go with a 6" lift because the 4" lifts are less than a hundred bucks less, so there's not much of a big difference.

As for tire size, 6" lift fits 35" tires and a 4" lift fits 33" tires (Rancho makes a 4" lift that fits 35" tires)

I recomend Mickey Thompson for your tire. They have a model called the Claw that has that tread pattern. They also have a great load rating (about 3000 lb. per tire).

Some good lift brands are:
    Rancho
    Rough Country
    Tuff Country
    ProComp
    Superlift
    Skyjacker
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast