GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Performance and sound - suggestions wanted

i have a 2006 chevy silverado 1500 single cab with a 4.8L V8 and has 15000 miles and dual flowmasters and also a k and n cold air intake, can anyone tell me anything i can do to it not only to make it sound better but to make it faster and have more horsepower.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chevy v8 kid View Post
    i have a 2006 chevy silverado 1500 single cab with a 4.8L V8 and has 15000 miles and dual flowmasters and also a k and n cold air intake, can anyone tell me anything i can do to it not only to make it sound better but to make it faster and have more horsepower.
    there are a # of things it all depends on how much TIME & MONEY u are willing 2 put in it try a good name brand chip or programer

Legend

A programmer will deff give you more performance but not gonna help much in the sound department. Headers or a manual cutout would do that for ya. Headers will give you a a nice little increase in performance and a little more growl out the back. A manual cutout will only run you about 35 bucks and will deepen the tone of the flowmasters but don't expect much performance benifit.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

programer for more power... and new headers for sound
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

when you guys say programmer do you mean taking the truck to a shop and have the guys download new settings into the computer and have them dyno it or re tune it?

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOE Z71 View Post
    when you guys say programmer do you mean taking the truck to a shop and have the guys download new settings into the computer and have them dyno it or re tune it?
    no no no... we mean a Superchips , Hypertech (for example) chip/programer (samething) and they are a plug and play thing you can do your self

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    no no no... we mean a Superchips , Hypertech (for example) chip/programer (samething) and they are a plug and play thing you can do your self
    oh ok got it, and with somethinglike this it doesnt have to be retuned?

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOE Z71 View Post
    oh ok got it, and with somethinglike this it doesnt have to be retuned?

no sir e bob... it simply plugs into that little port under the dash on driver side and press a few buttons on the programer and bang! instant power ( or fuel efficency, or which ever setting you choose)

Legend

basically it works like this. Buy programmer. Plug into port under your dash. run setting (87 octane fuel economy, 91 octance performance etc). You can then adjust for larger tires, different gears, your shift firmness your top speed limiter etc. when done it will download this new tune for you and save your original settings on the programmer. If you bring it to the dealer or want to sell the programmer plug it back in and select restore to factory settings. That's it. Easy to use and a great buy for any vehicle.

Headers, TBS, maybe a new cam shaft?
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.