GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default Stereo System in a 96 K1500

I am thinking about putting a system in my truck and I wanted to know if there were some people here that have done something like it and what they would recommend. I am going to put a 1200W amp with a 10in Kicker Square in a sealed box. Quality sound>Super Loud for me. I have been browsing the net and I see that they do not make a special square box for a under the bench application on a 1996. I thought about modifing the box to fit a square but it does not have enough mounting depth in the box. Therefore I have gone with the standard 12X12X12 sealed box and I will put it on the floor behind the drivers seat or maybe mount it onto the bench in the middle so people can sit on either side. Thats what I need the advice on the most. I would just use a round sub, but I think the square sounds and performs better plus I got a mega deal on the sub so I couldn't pass it up. I am planning on mounting the amp under the drivers seat since it is mostly out of the way there, or I could go ahead and mount it under the bench where the sub should have gone. Also I am wondering if anyone has used a capacitor for their system in their truck. I have put in a few in cars but have never done a truck before. I think I am going to be on the safe side and throw a 2 farrand cap in there, its not the biggest but it will help better than nothing. I got some configurations to play with and I will keep you all posted with what I find and possibly throw in some pics. If anyone has some advice I would love to hear it, thanks!

awesome setup idea. i just got a 12" Diamond sub and amp installed the other day. my setup was a 12" truck box under the back seat of truck (00 Silverado ExCab) with the amp on the other side. As for your truck, you could put the box under the rear of the drivers side, and mount the amp and cap under the drivers seat, or go all out custom and build a sweet amp rack in the backseat, but lose space for passengers or stuff.

its entirely up to you. i love the sound of kicker subs, they hit hard and low, but are so accurate.

Blog Entries

So I have completed the install of the system over the weekend. It took about 3.5 hours to do the entire thing. I don't have any pictures of it because I installed it in the garage on friday night and was working in low light condictions and then was too busy the rest of the weekned to get any snapshots of the system. The system looks great and hits fairly hard, keeping in mind it is in a sealed box. I am thinking about building a custom box that would be ported and am currently doing research on how to do a good job with it. I have found plenty of sources online and I have a fairly good idea of what I want to do. So far I have placed the setup in the middle of the rear seat so people may sit on either side of it. I usually don't take very many people, but in the case that I may occasionally I left some room. Did run into some problems though and here they are:

Need a Radio Antenae Adaptor (bought one at Best buy and it was the wrong one)

Did not have the time to install the capacitor I have for it so hopefull that will get done soon so that the headlights will stop dimming when the sub hits.

Hard to find a ground close enough to the middle of the seat until I looked behind the seat which had a perfect ground.

Could not use the aftermarket trim face kit because the flip stereo would not go down so it took some mod work to make it fit

Overall it was quite simple and it sounds great. Like I said before it only took a couple of hours and I think it sounds great. Not too loud, but you still feel the base rattle your bones! Stay tuned for pictures. You can also check out the blog I wrote about the system, it has a lot more detail than the thread. Enjoy!
    1996 Chevy K1500 Silverado Z71
    -248000 miles
    -The legendary 350 small block V8 (5.7L)
    -Sound System with a 10'' kicker L5 sub and 1300W amp in a sealed box