GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mileage increase

So far Ive added a K&N FIPK and a Magnaflow cat back. It sounds great but ive only gained about .5 mpg. Im getting 15 - 15.5 in mixed driving and hwy mileage I get 17mpg at 70 mph. My next step is a Hypertech programer but Im not sure which to go with either max energy or the e con. I was doing some reading on the Jet MAF and they claim an increase in mpg but dont say how much. I'm curious if any of you have one and what kind of gain you got if any. Is there anything else I can do to get an increase in mpg? Im a light footed driver, tires are properly inflated and I use royal purple.
    2009 Tahoe LT2; Graystone Metallic; 5.3L Vortec; 4x4; Loaded;

I have a '04 1/2 ton cab with the same engine as your Tahoe. I do more highway driving than city ( 15% vs 85% ) as I live 25 miles from town and I am averaging 18 .3 to 18.5 mpg with only a KnN air fiilter and Royal Purple. I don't get into the go pedal very often, but I don't take any more time than necessary when I pass a car. I have about 108,000 miles and running good. I wouild have though the Tahoe would have gotten better especially with your "mods".

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I agree with Bob. I have the same engine with similar mods and was using Royal Purple, but just switched to Mobil 1. Overall, I went from about 16-17 MPG to about 18-18.5 MPG. I also started driving 60 mph on my commute to and from work instead of 70/75. That helped as well.

You're on the right track with the programmer. You may also check into a custom tune. If you decide to go with the Hypertech, I think the max energy would be the better buy than the e-con. Of course, it all depends on what you would need. Here's a link to a thread where I posted some info I got from a Hypertech rep: Hypertech FYI

As far as the MAF goes, I have heard some guys on here that have used them and experienced noticeable performance gains. I'm not sure about the mileage though.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

I know the MAF will deliver very good power gains as I have had one on a previous vehicle. On that one as long as I kept my foot out of it mileage was very close to what I got before that mod. But I also had a BBK throttle body as well as other goodies. It was a 98 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 with exhaust and custom chip. It performed very well. anyway back to the problem at hand. The Tahoe was a program car for a GM exec in Detroit. So Im not sure of maintaince records other than oil changes and tire rotations. Ive been thinking of changing plugs. Those Es plugs look pretty cool to me but I dont know a soul that has them yet.

I believe I have followed advice from what I have read on here(very good info btw) But In disappointed by the mileage in getting so far. Maybe I was just expecting a little too much. Maybe once I get the programmer maybe it can bring it all together. What is this custom tune you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by rockrash View Post
    ...What is this custom tune you speak of?
    There are lots of companies that do this. Basically, you tell them every detail of your truck along with any upgrades you have made. Then, they custom tune a PCM for your specific vehicle. You will either send your PCM to them to have it programmed (which means you will be without your truck until you get it back), or you can have them send you a programmed PCM and you swap it out for your stock one and send that to them (at least that's how some companies do it). If you want to keep your stocker, you just pay them an extra fee.

Now, I just discovered (through TomsHHR) another company that does things a little different. They are Trifecta Performance. You give them all of your info (same as above) and they write you a custome tune. However, instead of having to swap out PCM's, they send you a programmer and you plug it into your diagnostic port and re-program your PCM that way. After you're done, you send the programmer back.

Now, the only downside to all of this (in my opinion) is that if you change something after you have gotten the custom tune, you will have to get a re-tune. Some companies offer free re-tunes, but you'll have to go through the hassle of swapping PCM's again. Most, if not all, other companies offer re-tunes at very reduced fees from the original tune. I call this a downside because if you buy a programmer (such as a Hypertech), if you change something, all you have to do is plug it back in and re-adjust.

That's pretty much the limit of my knowledge on the subject. There are other guys on here that know more details. You can try doing a search for "custom tune" if you have more questions. You could also do a google search and check out different company's websites (one that comes to mind is PCMforless.com). Hope this helps!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Suspension Leveling Kit

Legend

I'm sure your not noticing to much gains because you're enjoying driving a little bit more. If your foot is a little heavier at the light then your not going to see much of a gain. I've got the max energy and I love it. I gained 3mpg from mine. I kept track for over 6 months and the gains were consistant.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Quote Originally Posted by finalday7 View Post
    I'm sure your not noticing to much gains because you're enjoying driving a little bit more. If your foot is a little heavier at the light then your not going to see much of a gain. I've got the max energy and I love it. I gained 3mpg from mine. I kept track for over 6 months and the gains were consistant.
    I do enjoy driving it as much as I always have but I will admit that at first when the mods were done I drove a heavier foot to "enjoy the mods" but I have settled down and have now gone back to my normal driving habits which is light footed. I dont crack the throttle everytime I take off from a light but I use just a constant steady pressure on the skinny pedal.

By the way Im using the onboard info center for my mileage readings and not doing the math when I fill up. Are these reading accurate or is it better for me to do the math each time I fill up??

I buddy of mine has a mod chip installed with a switch panel on the dash and can change tune on the fly from economy to stock to towing to horsepower. I don't remember the brand, but if I was going to use one myself I think that is what I would go for. It has a programer you plug in the diagnostic port to tweak each setting for the different programs. My Chevy stuff right now is too old for the programers, but I might try something on my Cobra soon. (Of course that would not help you much here.)

Quote Originally Posted by rockrash View Post
    ...By the way Im using the onboard info center for my mileage readings and not doing the math when I fill up. Are these reading accurate or is it better for me to do the math each time I fill up??
    With my truck, the fuel economy reading on the DIC isn't very accurate. I always calculate it myself when I fill up. I mean, it's pretty close, but since it's a running average, it doesn't give you an accurate reading for each tank you go through. For example, mine reads 18.0 pretty much all the time, when I have gotten as low as 17.5 and has high as 18.7. Close enough I suppose, but not exact.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Suspension Leveling Kit

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    With my truck, the fuel economy reading on the DIC isn't very accurate. I always calculate it myself when I fill up. I mean, it's pretty close, but since it's a running average, it doesn't give you an accurate reading for each tank you go through. For example, mine reads 18.0 pretty much all the time, when I have gotten as low as 17.5 and has high as 18.7. Close enough I suppose, but not exact.
    My DIC always reads between 14 - 15 in mixed driving. And on the hwy best I ever got was 17. I will try doing the math myself and see where it comes up at. At 46,100 is it time for a tune-up??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast