GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default please help with radiator fan!

I'm swapping out my engine driven fan for an electric one. I can't figure out how to take the radiator fan off. The fan is connected to the fan clutch with four bolts and the fan clutch is connected to the drive shaft with a big nut. I can't figure out how to take the big nut off. It just spins the shaft when I get the wrench on it. Please help!

What's the model/make/year of your GM vehicle? Most have four bolts that hold the fan clutch to the waterpump shaft/pulley. You undo the bolts and the fan and clutch come out together. You can then undo the bolts holding the fan to the clutch.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

it's a 2001 Silverado 1500 5.3L, The radiator fan and the clutch assembly are in fact connected with four bolts but I removed them and the clutch did not come off with the fan. the clutch is in front of the fan which mounts behind it with those four bolts. Now what I need to do to get the whole assembly off is a mystery. There is a large Nut between the fan and a pulley. The water pump is behind this pulley and is totally unaccessible. Any ideas?

you must remove the 4 bolts at the water pump then carefully pry off the fan blades and clutch unit as one chunk. i put card board or a old chunk of carpet in front of the raditor as when the fan comes off it will slam into the raditor and put a hole in it ( i done this a couple times..........mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Default Fan Clutch Removal

With the serpentine belt still in place, put tenstion on the belt to hold the fan clutch in place and the BIG nut between clutch and pulley is reverse threaded and should come offfairly easily with a big wrench, 1 1/4" I do beleive.
    Mark - Phoenix
    97 Chevy Silverado X-Cab
    86 Monte Carlo SS
    72 Chevelle Convertible

Thanks for the help guys, I actually had to go get a strap wrench to hold the water pump pulley because the belt wasn't tight enough and kept slipping while I removed the fan assembly. It actually wasnt reverse threaded it was lefty loosey. very easy to remove with the strap wrench .
    2001 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N cold air intake, flexalite electric cooling fan, Edelbrock shorty headers, Amsoil synthetic oil, dual exhaust flow master 40 series muffler, Hypertech max energy programmer, MSD Ignition plug wires.

Default Fan Clutch

I am glad to hear you got it. . . .