GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm using Royal Purple right now but thats only because I sold the last of our Amsoil to a customer and my truck was on the lift drained....lol. Gotta do what you gotta do. I'll be using Amsoil on my next change though.
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

Amsoil, Redline, Spectro Gold are the top of the line synthetics, when you run any extended mileage oil it is important to run a high quality filter. Short changes are really a waste of $$$, what is better: Example 15,000 mile oil at 5,000 and agin at 10,000 change the filter and top off. Folks that have been using Amsoil know the drill. One of my close buddies just sold his Mercedes with 410,000, the buyer had a mechanical check up. His mechanic did oil samples, compression and running tests, he told the buyer that he could not believe the great condition. Now the kicker!!! My buddy switched to Amsoil at 20,000, he followed Amsoils regime of never actually changing the oil but at their intervals changing the dual Amsoil filters and sending oil samples to Amsoi. He said that following there regime saved him a ton of $$ over the 12 years he owned the car, the results of 410,000 usage sure tells the tale.

In my road toys I run Mobil 1 extended and do changes at 10,000 and give away 5,000, in my boat which has an stroker engine I use Spectro Gold as nothing test wise stacks up to it. The only other oil that comes close is the Harley V oil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Jr. Apprentice

Default Syntec

I have been running castol syntec 5w20 since the truck was new and recently I switched to mobil 1 full synthetic because the local auto parts store had a special on it. My truck started ticking. So needless to say I am going back to syntec.
    BO
    2005 Silverado Crew Cab 4wd
    127,000 Miles
    Truxxx leveling kit
    Rough Country Addaleaf
    K&N Filter
    Airaid Throttle body spacer
    Hypretech Power Programmer
    315/70/17 BFG AT
    I LOVE MY CHEVY TRUCK

Royal Purple and Napa Gold filter for me.
    2009 Tahoe LT2; Graystone Metallic; 5.3L Vortec; 4x4; Loaded;

I run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles, always have. that's what helped me get 272,000 miles on my 89 silverado sport before I parked it and started making a project out of it. that's what I run in my tahoe and what my wife has in her suburban now too. i might run something else like just regular castrol or valvoline on occasion if I have a vehicle under 100,000 miles but when they get close to and anything above i run nothing at all but mobil 1 it may be a little more expensive than the standard oils but it's well worth it in the long run.
    what sold me on it is a guy I used to work with that rebuilt motors in his spare time came to work one night cussing mad because no cleaner or detergent he could find would clean all the mobil 1 off of the block he was trying to hone. I figured since he had hit it with every cleaner under the sun and nothing would take it off then that meant that it really did a good job at protecting the motor and couldn't be scrubbed off with any cleanser then it surely would do a hell of a job protecting the block during normal or even intense operation. I was sold at that point and that's all I have used since.

Jr. Mechanic

Default what kind of oil?

This may be a little late in reply but helpful to those like me that scour old posts.
    I recently had a Rep. from Royal Purple visit my work and he brought a contraption with him that was a motor with a hardened shaft and some replacable bar stock levered to contact the shaft. The more weights you hung on the lever the more pressure it applied. Thus the more friction, the more load on the motor til the breaker tripped. We applied oil to the shaft and ran many tests,many speeds, many oils, many steel stock (his and ours).The results were then viewed through a 30X magnifier. Results!!!! Mobile one won by a long shot, Royal Purple did come in second, no sale for that rep. that day my guess is he abandoned that form of demonstration soon after that. I am completely sold on mobile one after that. It would be easy enough for any of you to make your own "test rig" and try this out yourself.

I LOVE IT .... something else to back up my claim

thanks for posting that mrfixdit that helped my dedication to mobil 1, I was thinking of trying the royal purple but if it came in second then I know I have been doing the right thing all along.

Jr. Apprentice

royal purple is good but somewhat expensive but i run with castrol syn changing every 3000 to 5000

Jr. Mechanic

I've been a big fan of synthetic oil for years!!! I'm running Lucas 10w-30 in my truck now. I've had great experience with Lucas, and I can pick up for a reasonable price from the local distributor. I have also used Valvoline, Castrol and Mobil 1 synthetics and never had a problem with any of them. Really, you can't go wrong with any of the synthetics out there!!!
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.

Default I'm sold!

mobil 1 it is for me then! I'm sold! I was planning on making the switch for my truck which is at 108K to synthetic. steve and the other moderators should see about get some advertisement deals with them for you guys to collect royalties
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT

2000 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500
    - BLACKED OUT BOW TIE
    - RHINO LINER
    - BLUE LED CLUSTER
    - SOUND SYSTEM
    - SOFT WHITE LED DOME LIGHT :smile:

- SOON -
    - SOFT WHITE LEDs THROUGH OUT INTERIOR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast