GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Testing

Comparative Motor Oil Testing

A little light reading.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

I used to use Penzzoil... But now am using Castrol GTX.... No prblems on either but I have many friends with Chevys that have a quarter million miles and only ran Castrol. Seems like that is proof enough.

Castrol High Mileage in both trucks and for the car whatever Saturn puts in. I can't quite remember whether the high mileage is synthetic or not. Pretty much positive it's not full syn, but it might be a syn blend. Either way, both trucks leak a tad, but not enough for me to cry over.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Blog Entries

Mobil 1 for the last ten years. I will also use Amsoil, but rarely able to get it on sale if ever. I also use Mobil 1 oil filters, but they are hard to get in this country. K&N acceptable and easier to find. Although, I saw a tear down of a dozen or so oil filters and Amsoil was by far the best built with the best materials. They are also the most expensive ($18.50) in Canada. I used Amsoil filters during 2 oil changes and developed a ticking in the engine which I never had in 10 years with Mobil 1. Could have just been a coincidence, but I think the oil flow may be more restricted with Amsoil? I think I will stick to Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Synthetics View Post
    Comparative Motor Oil Testing

A little light reading.
    Thanks for the post. Great information. My dad has been using Amsoil, and I will be switching on the next oil change. Prior to this I have used both Castro Syntec and Mobil 1 Syntec and was very happy with both.

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4, Crew Cab
    6.6L Duramax Diesel (LB7) with an automatic Allison 1000 5 speed.
    Spray-in bed liner, S&B Air Filter, Homemade CAI ram scoop, ball hitch for Gooseneck
    Black toolbox, metallic-black bowtie, 5.5" NV-200C Bumper Off-Road lights behind a blacked-out grille
    285/75R16E BFG A/Ts
    Future Upgrades: Exhaust, CAI, programmer, intercooler, torque converter

Master Mechanic

I think its funny when companies use their own information and test to prove their product is the best. Alot of oil companies try to find outside tests and results to back up their product, but I've only ever saw Amsoil use their own tests to show they're the best.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I use Mobil 1 in my truck and cars. 2 cycle toys get Amsoil.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I think its funny when companies use their own information and test to prove their product is the best. Alot of oil companies try to find outside tests and results to back up their product, but I've only ever saw Amsoil use their own tests to show they're the best.
    AMSOIL's published testing is done by 3rd party laboratories. I do not know what makes you think it's not. If the test results were not true and accurate I think Amsoil would be in the court room.

There is a story behind Amsoil's trademark "First in Synthetics". When Al Amatuzio applied to have this statement trademarked he not only had to prove that Amsoil was the first synthetic oil historically but trademark officials also said Amsoil was insinuating that they were the best (#1) in a performance and quality standpoint, and had to prove it. So Amsoil presented the officials with the comparison documentation and test results they asked for backing up the claim that Amsoil was the best. The trademark officials accepted the documents to allow Amsoil to use "First" in their trademark. The procedure now required the trademark officials had to notify all the other oil companies in writing. They had 90 days to object, comment or respond to this notice. The 90 days elapsed and there was no word from any of these companies not even Mobil 1. If any of these companies thought they had a better product they would of responded.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Master Mechanic

If you can provide me with third party data ill be more than willing to read it
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123