GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Hypertech Max Energy Programmer Reviews?

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 5.3L Z71 and I am trading up to a 2009 GMC Sierra 6.0L Vortec Max 4X4 with the 6-speed auto tranny. Has anyone tried the Hypertech Max Energy Programmer on either of these trucks? If so, Are the gains worth noting? Mileage and power wise. Thanks to those who reply.

I'll be getting mine in the mail today and will be posting my findings once I find what kind of gains I get. My hopes are high!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

good luck Matt. I'll be waiting to hear your findings
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chrysler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    1966 Ford Mustang

Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

Any updates on this? Looks like we get a lot of traffic in this thread, people looking for reviews.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I'd like to know as well I may consider installing one if the findings are good.

I posted my updates on this in another thread, but I'll update on here as well. Here's my story...

I first got the Hypertech Max Energy tuner and installed it (extremely easy) with the regular tune and boosted the shift firmness by 50%. I left everything else alone. I immediately noticed an increase in throttle response and acceleration. When I passed someone on the highway, I could definitely notice a difference!

After a while (after gas prices fell), I decided to start running premium (93 octane) fuel with the premium tune. I ran a couple tanks of premium, then re-tuned to the premium setting. I also increased the shift firmness to 75%. These are the settings I have it at now, and I love it. I didn't really notice an extreme difference between the regular and premium tune, but it did seems to have some more "pep". It definitely runs smoother at wide open throttle, where before I would sometimes get a slight clatter.

I am currently getting about 18-20 mpg. Most of those miles (about 80%) are highway, with the rest being city. If I'm easier on the pedal, I can get 20-21, but now that gas prices are so much lower, I find myself a little more heavy footed

I never have messed with the shift points, rev limiters, or speed limiter. I may some day, but for now, the factory settings suit me well.

Thanks for the resuts. I am still wanting a programmer and I have been looking into the Diablo Predator U7194. I got my 2009 GMC Sierra 4X4 EXT CAB with 6.0L 6-Speed. Has anyone had any experience with my truck configures and a programmer?

Quote Originally Posted by chev-man View Post
    Thanks for the resuts. I am still wanting a programmer and I have been looking into the Diablo Predator U7194. I got my 2009 GMC Sierra 4X4 EXT CAB with 6.0L 6-Speed. Has anyone had any experience with my truck configures and a programmer?
    I've heard that tunes are supposed to really wake up the 6.0 engine. Predator and hypertech are the most popular mass produced programmers, and everyone says that custom tunes will wipe the floor with Premium tunes by mass produced programmers. I myself am looking into getting a tune from wait4meperformance.com.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    I'll be getting mine in the mail today and will be posting my findings once I find what kind of gains I get. My hopes are high!
    Hey how was your programmer? sufficient gains worth buying?

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Hey GMTC,
    I realize this thread is a bit older, but nonetheless still relevant! Since reviews are such a great source of information when researching a product, I thought I would post a link to reviews for the popular models of tuners available at AutoAnything. For any product questions or pricing, please contact our sales team or live chat agents.

*Hint, if you input your vehicle when on our site, the reviews will sort with your vehicle reviews first!

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 15% on Chevy mods.
    We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
    Click-to-Chat and
    we'll beat ANY price by $1.

*View our 2011 Silverado Build Page here