GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Musty Odor from A/C

Lately, I've been noticing a musty smell when I turn on my air conditioner after my truck has been sitting for a while. Once the air is on for a while, it is fine, but after it sits for a while, it smells again. Does anybody know what could be causing this?? Is there something I can clean?
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

hmm.... Have you driven through high water latley?
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    hmm.... Have you driven through high water latley?
    Nope, never. It's rained, but I wasn't even driving in it.

hmm i really dont know.. .. is it still blowing as cold as before and as hard??
    ..its kinda funny how we still need our ac but theres some guys on here that are going to have to shovel some snow in the am to get there truck out of their driveway

yeah, no joke.

Yeah, it still blows cold as ever and as hard as ever. It just stinks when it first comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    yeah, no joke.

Yeah, it still blows cold as ever and as hard as ever. It just stinks when it first comes on.
    i guess that rules out some sort of leak. my sugestion would be to ither: A: sart the truck turn on the ac and let the truck sit w the ac on (while you stand outside); or B: go to walmart and buy some little air freshners to stick in the vents

.. hopefully one of the other guys will chime in later this evening .. (after they get done shoveling snow)

I had the same trouble, there is a drain to get rid of the moisture the AC pulls out of the air even if it shows of some coming out the rubber tube may be partially closed off so it holds some water and it will stink!! The end is made flattened out so I made another cut in it so I was sure it would drain.
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Quote Originally Posted by FireRed View Post
    I had the same trouble, there is a drain to get rid of the moisture the AC pulls out of the air even if it shows of some coming out the rubber tube may be partially closed off so it holds some water and it will stink!! The end is made flattened out so I made another cut in it so I was sure it would drain.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check that out. It didn't stink today....go figure.

Have the A/C air filter under the right side dash changed. If there is already an odor remove the filter and spray the the evaporator core with aerosol disinfectants for automotive air conditioning systems available at most auto part stores.
    2000 4x4 Ext. cab 5.3 Z71
    2009 Corolla

Blog Entries

I found this on another thread asking about how to get rid of that odor.

The odor is due to your a/c. The evaporator core in your dash is condensation with the a/c on, and then dries while the vehicle is off. This can cause some mold growth. The solution.........start vehicle with a/c on high.
    It must be in fresh air mode (not recirculating inside air, or sometimes called max a/c) . Get a can of Lysol antibacterial spray or equivalent and spray it down the cowl at base of windshield on the outside near wiper arms/ blades. If in doubt where to spray, you may feel air movement at correct location or use tissue and watch for it to move. Spray about 1/2 the can and run vehicle for a while. You may need to do this several times. Note: leave doors or windows open, the smell from that much cleaner can be nauseating.
    Also if you have a newer vehicle, check and or replace cabin filters (air filters for passenger cabin).
    THIS IS THE FIX NEW CAR MANUFACTURES RECOMMEND.... I work at a Gm dealer and we see this all the time, no real problem, just unpleasant odor.

You may also have a cabin air filter that might need to be changed.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by