GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2008 Suburban NAV Phone

Hello, I am new to this site, new to Chevy (ex-FORD owner), new to Suburban and new to Onstar. I guess that qualifies me as an all around newbie.

My question is related to the phone that works through the NAV system. There is a place in the address book to store phone numbers for each destination. I was playing around with it the other day and actually placed a call. My question is - how is this billed? Does the call go through Onstar? Is it possible to link this to my current cell phone (Verizon Wireless) or to make it work through its own cell plan? I would like to use the integrated calling features of the truck (no Bluetooth) but don't want to be charged an arm and a leg for my calls if they have to go through Onstar.

Any ideas?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Andy
    2008 Suburban LTZ
    First Chevy, previous Ford owner

Jr. Apprentice

Default nav phone

i just recently bought a 08 malibu what you have to do is press the onstar button and you can purchase minutes with your credit card as you talk to the onstar rep. when i first bought my car they gave me a good deal for 100mins i paid 30 dollars. The car came with i think 30 minutes on it. i dont believe that you can have your cell phone go through the car phone because its all through onstar and they have their own phone number for that car. its pretty nice to have. Put you should not be billed because the car comes with minutes on it...at least mine did. they should have showed you all that at the dealership. I dont know how much the minutes are regularly for the phone with onstar cause i have not had to buy any yet. hope i helped you.
    :great:

welcome! glad to have an ex Ford owner! ..(we wont hold it agints you)

Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

You got some free minutes when you purchased the vehicle. I belive like 30 or 60 minutes. When you go through the entire set up with onstar they will offer to buy more minutes. I believe the phone service is with Verizon so if you already have a verizon cell i think you can link that some how. Honestly it is a waste I rarely use it unless I am bored and just trying to use the free minutes.
    2008 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4wd LT1 Package with 20" wheel upgrade,K&N CAI, Magnaflow Catback Dual Side Exit, Tuff Country 2" Leveling Kit, Blackbear Tune, 6k HIDS Low and High Beams, 3K HID fog lights, LED tailight bar

Blog Entries

My truck is on 06 so I can only tell you that when I purchased it new, I got 12-months of free Onstar coverage, as well as 3-months (or something like 30-minutes) of hands-free calling. It is through Verizon and you can start a plan to use your minutes in your truck or you can purchase minutes to use.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I use the OnStar phone through my Verizon wireless account. The total package from OnStar (NAV + phone) runs about $300 a year plus an additional $10 a month to Verizon. I opted for the phone because they say the truck phone has more output power than the regular cell which comes in handy for Hunting in southern CA. There has been times where the truck phone is the only one that gets an reception. The reception can be bad at times. Many times I've had people say they can't hear me.
    You will have some free minutes - like 15 or so. You have an option to purchase OnStar minutes if you do not use a Verizon account. The OnStar minutes are about ten cents each. A total rip.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Default Nav Phone

Thanks for your replies. I called Verizon Wirelss and was able to add my truck phone as an additional liine on my plan for $10/month. I can transfer my cell to the truck when I am in it or have it ring on my cell first and then roll to the truck.

The only gotcha is that you have to have an active OnStar subscription. I have a free year with the new truck, but I can't really see me renewing it unless the phone set up turns out to be something I can not live without. This is pretty unlikely, I will probably just get a Bluetooth package so I am not stuck with a monthly OnStar fee.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Andy
    2008 Suburban LTZ
    First Chevy, previous Ford owner