GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Swapping out Master Cylinder ???'s

Hey all,

WHile fixing up my old 87 chevy, I swapped the axles to a Dana 60 Front & 14 Bolt rear. I also swapped out the stock brakes and robbed a set off of a 1-ton pick up. With 38.5x15.50 tires, the brakes are rather over powered. I've thought about bolting on a 1-ton master cylinder because I know a few guys that have done this on their jeeps and run up to 39's and they tell me the brakes work great.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Do you master cylinders swap out without any adapters? Will I need to swap the booster as well?

Everyone's $.02 are appreciated. I can get a MC & Booster cheap but if it's too much of a hassle I might not bother.

Breaking is the most important aspect of driving. My old man always said that if you add any weight to the front of your car then you should upgrade the braked to compensat. Its a good idea to step up the master cylinder and the booster.
    As far as mounting the master cylinder you may have to drill new bolt holes in your motor compartment but I doubt that any other mods are ncessary.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

I'm currently doing something similar to my jeep. I got a booster and master cylinder for dirt cheap so I'm swapping that in as we speak. Do you drive this on the street or is it just for trails and such? there are somethings that will need to be changed for the brake lights to function properly I believe.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Quote Originally Posted by 95CTburb19 View Post
    I'm currently doing something similar to my jeep. I got a booster and master cylinder for dirt cheap so I'm swapping that in as we speak. Do you drive this on the street or is it just for trails and such? there are somethings that will need to be changed for the brake lights to function properly I believe.
    Yeah it spends time on both...more so on trails but still goes and pounds a little pavement. Any ideas what would throw the brake lights off?

Thanks.