GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice

Default Tire comparison help

I just bought an 08 3500 silverado crew cab duramax and really need some tire advice.

I'm adding a 6" lift so I can put 35x12.5x20's on it. So far I've got the choices down to the following;

-Pro Comp Extreme ATs - research revealed a common problem of "out of round" tires which make them difficult to ballance.

-Next is the Toyo MTs. I have had these on my Suburbans for two sets in the AT version. I love them for wear and traction but they are much smaller than what I have planned for the new truck. Road noise is also a real concideration for me and don't know how the larger ones would perform.

-Nito makes a good AT tire called the Grappler but a weak point in this one seems to be a softer rubber tread causing a severly reduced lifespan on heavier trucks.

-Finally the BFG Mud Terrains have good feedback short of the softer sidewalls which makes it less than an ideal heavy hauling option.

If you have any of these tires or others that you have used, I would REALLY like your feedback!

out of those i would recommend the BFG, as most of the people on here will, what you have heard about the nittos on the heavier trucks is true, i wouldnt put them on anything bigger then a 1/2 ton, toyos are also not a bad choise, and i havent had much experience with the pro comps

Blog Entries

I have 35" Toyo M/T's on mine and love them!

Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the input (cool truck too). I've been leaning towords the Toyos. Everyone I talk with that has them says good stuff about them. What do you think about street noise and did you have any problem with getting them ballanced? Two of my biggest concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I just bought an 08 3500 silverado crew cab duramax and really need some tire advice.

I'm adding a 6" lift so I can put 35x12.5x20's on it. So far I've got the choices down to the following;

-Pro Comp Extreme ATs - research revealed a common problem of "out of round" tires which make them difficult to ballance.

-Next is the Toyo MTs. I have had these on my Suburbans for two sets in the AT version. I love them for wear and traction but they are much smaller than what I have planned for the new truck. Road noise is also a real concideration for me and don't know how the larger ones would perform.

-Nito makes a good AT tire called the Grappler but a weak point in this one seems to be a softer rubber tread causing a severly reduced lifespan on heavier trucks.

-Finally the BFG Mud Terrains have good feedback short of the softer sidewalls which makes it less than an ideal heavy hauling option.

If you have any of these tires or others that you have used, I would REALLY like your feedback!

I think many will agree with me in saying not to go with the Nittos they are very soft. The toyo is a nice tire. Pro Comp is a good one also but Unless your bulding a trail rig I would not reccomed them on a Dmax. The BFG's are by far your best bet! I am sure you will be impressed with them, as I am sure most will agree with me on this.

My parents have the Nittos on their Dodge Diesel and they pull our 10,000 pound trailer fairly often, and the tread life is by far best described as poor.
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

out of your choices i would go woth the toyo, but I have a couple more options that i think are better and are cheaper.

if your considered about road noise both of these tires are not bad.

For an AT i would choose the BFG AT. they are an awesome all around tire and are great in any condition and look great.

I think the best choice out there for the money is the cooper discoverer STT. they are much cheaper than the toyo's and are still just as good if not better and are surprisingly quiet on the road. I say you get those. oh also they are awesome looking
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Jr. Apprentice

Lots of good info. Thanks you guys. I'll post a picture after all the work gets done.

I wouldn't go ProComp. The others are fine.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

I am getting some BFG AT after 5 good reviews from close friends and the fact that 9 trucks in my school parking lot have them on their trucks
    Alexander
    2000 silverado 1500 2wd
    black racing stripes
    black bowtie
    k&n cold air intake
    bull bar
    6 pilot off road lights on a Go Rhino! Lightning Sport Bar
    summit race muffler
    with fish tailed exhaust pipes
    P.A system (for when the aliens take over)jk
    MB Gunner6 rims (discount tire brand)
    285 bfg at ko's